Feeling discouraged and giving up

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by Brisilda Kodra, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Brisilda Kodra

Brisilda Kodra Well Known Member Member

All I get for my cycle is high ammonia no nitrites or nitrates at all it's been three weeks already

And no I am not a patient person

2. Quibbles

Quibbles Valued Member Member

Just hang in there! Fish keeping requires lot of patience, even if you have none!

3. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

How are you cycling your tank? How high is the ammonia? What is the PH?

4. Five 97

Five 97 Well Known Member Member

I've had that happen to me, but it always eventually cycles... :)

5. OP
    OP
    Brisilda Kodra

Ammonia 8ppm

Even in high ammonia?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2016
  6. Five 97

That's pretty high, are sure your going through the procedures properly (adding ammonia etc...)?

need some of your wisdom here, @CindiL :)

7. OP
    OP
    Brisilda Kodra

I did try to lower it I think it raised by itself

8. Five 97

The ammonia has to be coming from a source...

9. OP
    OP
    Brisilda Kodra

I used pure ammonia my tap water does not have ammonia

10. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

8PPm I believe is too high, I would try a water change to reduce it. If you are using a bacteria starter like TSS then it needs to be reduced to 2PPM. If just a fishless cycle without a bacteria starter then you can reduce to 4PPM.

11. OP
    OP
    Brisilda Kodra

That's what I hear everyone say tomorrow I will and a good water change will do a fish cycle

12. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hang in there! It takes 6 to 8 weeks to cycle a tank.

13. OP
    OP
    Brisilda Kodra

Thanks Lucy I will wait a few more weeks

14. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Hi, your ammonia is WAY too high which is the major problem here :). Free ammonia at low levels are inhibiting to the growth of bacteria you need. They need a food source but cannot be bathed in it like that.

I would take a water sample, add prime to it and then test it for ammonia and let us know what it is ok?

What else is in the tank? You can't have 8ppm ammonia without a source for it so I am guessing it's the water. Do you have any fish food in there? Plants that could be rotting? Substrate from another tank?

I would get it down to 2.0 and then add in Tetra Safe Start Plus or Seachem Stability. Are those available where you're at? Even without a bacterial additive I would not have it past 2.0 initially.

15. OP
    OP
    Brisilda Kodra

My high ammonia is due to pure ammonia in bottle I added I will do a water change to lower down the ammonia and would Tetra Safe Start be good with my bottled ammonia?

16. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Oh ok, I thought I mis-read. We were discussing this in another thread somewhere weren't we? I can't remember off the top of my head. But yeah, TSS+ would be perfect to use. Just get the ammonia down to 2.0 or below before adding in the bottle and then wait a couple days to test everything. TSS+ comes bottled in an ammonium solution itself so that's why I would wait a couple days for your test.

You'll get there and if you add it like this it should cycle pretty quickly.

17. OP
    OP
    Brisilda Kodra

Yep I will do this for sure now we will see cause today is moms birthday and it's her day not mine so maybe tomorrow I will go to PetSmart

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice