Feeling defeated

1. jlallard Member Member

I just lost another Platy. In the 6 month span of having my tank I've lost at least 11. I'm not sure why the keep dying. My tank peramaters are fine. No nitrite or ammonia. And none of my other fish are dying (cories and black skirt tetras) I'm starting to think I'm going to stop buying fish and move my betta in there when they all die out. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. 77Impala Well Known Member Member

Sorry to hear about this.

Most likely a inherited problem with the fish that you are not able to fix is causing this.

3. ricmcc Well Known Member Member

I can understand that you feel bad about the fish that you lost, but on the other hand, you have maintained the tetras and the cory's.
    Perhaps look for fish that feel at home in the water you have, the water that supports the remaining fish.
    I really do think that 6 months is too early to call it a day--we have all had problems with tanks at one time or another.
    Terribly sorry that you sound so depressed over this--I have no magic words to help, but do wish you the very best------rick

4. WiFi Well Known Member Member

Do you buy all the fish from the same store?

Could be inbred severely over and over from same families at store, and be getting sick or have weak immune system.

I'm no professional, just an idea?

5. joya Member Member

I totally understand! I felt the same way when my yellow lab killed my beautiful angel fish. I was so done with fish I returned my 55 gallon. Now im feeling crazy cause I went to the pet store and purchased 2 beautiful red tail loaches, and fell in love with fishes all over again. Just waiting for the $1 per gallon sale again, lol....better not tell my husband, he might think im loosing it, lol.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

6. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

:( I'm sorry to hear this. What are their symptoms?

7. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

It has been my experience that I cannot keep every type of fish that I would like simply because of the type of water, well water, that I have to offer for my fish. In the past, the same has held true for city water. Some fish simply are not going to survive, no matter what we do. My water parameters are always perfect with 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites and under 40 Nitrates. (best under 20 but...under 40 not so bad).

I've been through many, many fish over the past 45 years. Some I brought home, they die over night, others have lived to be the ripe old age of 14 and still living. If I tried one species and it didn't survive, then I did not try this species again and moved on to another species. Eventually I found fish that not only live but thrive in my well water. Stocking list in my signature below.

The best we can do is try and mimic a natural environment for our fishy friends. The fewer chemicals and medications/treatments we expose our fish and tank to, the better off the tank and fish are going to be. Sometimes it just doesn't work and if it doesn't, then try other species of fish until you find what you know you can keep and offer them a happy home.

One fish I cannot keep is Discus as an example. I tried and tried and they are not the fish for me as much as I love them.

Hang in there and give it time. Eventually, if you keep at it, everything will click one day and you'll have a beautiful display tank with beautiful thriving fish.

Remember, what works for me may not work for you. Much of this hobby IMO, it trial and error. We can only go by guide lines to do the best that we can do and listen to other members advice. Sometimes the advice may work and other times it will not, but we have to try.

Too, we do not always know what the fish we purchase from a pet/fish store have been through prior to our purchase. I'm sure it isn't pleasant in most cases.

Acclimation is crucial:
    https://www.fishlore.com/acclimating-tropicalfish.htm

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/...p-up-water-changes-your-fish.html#post1290981

Ken

8. jlallard Member Member

Thanks everyone!! I'm feeling a bit better this morning after sleeping on it. It's just upsetting to keep losing the fish you love. I just adore the platies because of the colors and how they add their colors to my tank. But I'm probably going to take Kens advice (thanks Ken!) and try some other types of fish that might do better in the water. Also junebug, oddly enough, the two fish that have died this week had no symptoms. One of them was one I brought home this past weekend. He had hid a lot but had no physical symptoms, the other one was one I've had for a few months now. I found him stuck to the filter intake, again no physical symptoms, he had been perfectly fine that morning!

9. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

I know your feeling. I've had active tanks for 4 months now. My 29g is healthy, no problems there. In the last two months, my betta has had recurrent and aggressive fin rot which perseveres despite my very best efforts. Two of my three breeder-bought ranchus ended up becoming septic, one of them so severely that she developed popeye as well. It's a real punch in the gut.

Today, my betta is healing (though I'd likely guess that's not permanent) and my goldfish are cleared of septicemia symptoms though still undergoing medication.

I have spent more time fighting for the lives of these fish than I have been able to just sit back and enjoy them. Excepting, ironically, my little pet store goldfish. It's devastating when you have more sick fish than healthy fish, especially when you are working so hard to save them.

Sometimes, bad things just happen and fish just get sick. I agree with Rick, 6 mos is not time yet to call it quits. I am glad you are feeling better and your resolve has strengthened. Those who feel the loss of their fish most intensely are those who usually NEED to be keeping them, for the sake of the hobby. That's you, my friend.

I am thinking perhaps there may be an acclimation issue with your fish, most especially if the water quality is not totally suited to the needs of the fish (I'm talking about pH/hardness issues not cycling as you mentioned that was fine). How are you acclimating them? Are you QTing them first?

10. jlallard Member Member

I did the float method to acclimate them only because (lucky me!!) when I got home that day, our power was out and had been out for almost 2 hours according to my brother, so I didn't want to risk drip acclimating, with the power out and no way to check and make sure I was doing it right. Unfornatly I did not QT them ( I know, I'm bad :( ) because my 5 gallon QT tank is now housing my betta...

11. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

This might spark some debate or anger here, but I've never once utilized a QT before. Not once in over 20 years of doing this. And I've never had any crazy outbreak of fish disease in my tanks. So don't feel too bad about that. I think that what happened was unavoidable.

12. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Yeah I never QT'd my guys in the 29g and didn't have a problem. Meanwhile I pre-emptively QT'd my ranchus and suddenly they're septic. Sometimes it just happens. I think you'd find few who would argue the fact that not using a QT does pose some degree of risk, but it all depends on what you're comfortable with, weighing where you got the fish from against all of the other factors. I swear sometimes I think that taking all of those extra precautions actually tempts fate into screwing you over lol.

I did notice you only mentioned the float method though. This could be the reason why your recent purchases didn't survive. Floating only acclimates the fish to water temp.

EDIT: I took out a bunch of babbling because I re-read your post and realized you already knew. Was this most recent batch the only one you acclimated this way? You used drip for all of the others?

When the drip method isn't available, you could always just put them in a small container with their bag water. Then throw out small amounts of bag water for tank water every 15-30 minutes or so.

It kind of sounds like acclimation might be the issue on your most recent deaths, but given the pattern and assuming you fully acclimated previously lost stock, I think maybe it's something to do with the fish source. Is the pet store located near you, as in close enough to be on the same water system?
    I'm sorry for your losses :(

13. NCE12940 Well Known Member Member

I agree, don't give up. Many years ago I had no luck with Mollys. No idea why, water here is very hard, which they're supposed to like. But they just didn't make it. All my other fish were fine (Zebra Danios, Bettas, Guppies, Swordtails, etc.). There are so many different kinds of fish out there that you should be able to find some you like as much as the platys that you've lost, though I know you won't forget them.

14. jlallard Member Member

The first few fish I got I didn't know about the drip acclimation so I just did the float acclimation but the fish I got before this last group I used the drip acclimation. I've gotten my fish from 3 different stores (A petco, petsmart and LFS)

15. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Hmm okay so maybe it's not acclimation. Petco, Petsmart and probably your LFS (I just realized mine does too) all get their fish from Segrest Farms, probably. Maybe it's just an issue with the stock. You can ask the pet store if they've had any issues with anyone returning them or reporting odd deaths? Might be a little bit of a reach but could provide you with some peace.

16. Fishy Friends Well Known Member Member

So sorry to hear of your losses & glad you are feeling better - we have all been through different experiences with our tanks & you can count on this Forum to help you through whatever your difficulity & let you know you are not alone.

When you are sure everyone else is doing well - yOu may think of adding 3 or 4 add'l corys - whatever species you already have - when they run as a "pack" they are very fun to watch.

Do you know if your guppy is male or female? I have seen some gorgeous male guppies & male endlers on this forum - if you have all males over population wouldn't be a problem. Your tetras are considered peaceful & you could add 3-4 more of them so they would feel more secure.

Finally - I have a QT tank but don't always use it - I like to fill a bucket with aquarium water - prop the bag with fish in it (temp) - open the bag & dip a small new plastic cupfull out of the tank (throw away water) & dip another new cup in tank water & put it in the bag with new fish. I do this about 3-4 times within a 45min time frame - pour the fish into a large net (so old water does not go back into tank) & realease them gently into their new tank☺

17. tropical fish Initiate Member

could be water since neon tetras and platties dont go well since neons like soft acidic waster and platies are hardy fish hope this helps

18. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member