Feeding

MudHog

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well, my two sharks have died in my new tank. I'm down to Tiger Barbs and Cherry Barbs. My rainbow shark looked sick from early on and died about a week after he was intruduced to my tank. My redtail looked very healthy and lively, but came home from Houston Sunday and he was dead. I'm starting to wonder if I'm over feeding and that's causing some bad chemicals for my bottom feeders. I have been feeding once a day and I don't feel that I'm overfeeding by judging the amount of flakes falling to the bottom. Some do get more than other, but it's not like there's a bunch of chips that make it to the bottom. My rocks are turning brown and it's about time for a cleaning, but I'm concerned about what made my sharks die. I also have some brown algae on my sides and read somewhere too that it could be caused by overfeeding as well. The cherry barbs were introduced at the same time as the sharks and they are doing very well. Tiger Barbs are still their pirahana selves that they are too.

Should I clean the tank (rocks, plants, glass) and move to feeding once every two days or even longer?

Luniyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Have you checked your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, etc. levels recently? And if so what were they? I would do the cleaning and cut back on the amount of food you feed, but keep up with the once a day feedings. Do you have live plants in your tank? If not, then how long do you leave your lights on in the tank or are you near a window that shines direct sunlight on your tank? There are a number of reasons for the algae, but with fish death I would look to quality of water first. Let us know what your tank readings are (especially the nitrate levels) and it will help us get a better idea of what might be wrong.

MudHog

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks for the reply.

I'm planning to find a master test kit locally after work today. So I hope to have some readings tonight.

No live plants, all silk or plastic.

Light is on a timer and comes on around 3 PM and goes off around 10 PM.

Aquarium is not under a window with directly sunlight, but is approx. 12' across from a direct sunlight window that has blinds and curtains covering it that is rarely open to allow full sunlight into the room.

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would say that if you don't have a test kit, then it is probably your water quality. Bottom feeders are very sensitive to the cycling process. Is your tank cycled... see this article https://www.fishlore.com/Articles/TheNitrogenCycle.htm OR https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm so that you can understand the process more.
You are probably in the ammonia stage right now, and water changes are a must, depending on your levels you may have to do partial changes daily. Keep us posted on the levels and progress

MudHog

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I found my readings sheet. These are the two readings since I've bought my tank:

2/24: Amm - 0.2 / Nitrie - 0.4 / Nitrate - 0 / Ph - 7.8

3/24: Amm - 0 / Nitrie - 0.4 / Nitrate - 0.1 / Ph - 7.8

Tank was brought home on Feb. 10th and I added (14) Tiger Barbs on Feb. 11th to cycle my tank with. First actual water sample was taken 2/24 to see if it has cycled and could add more fish. The Cherry Barbs and sharks were added around April 14th.

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What are your readings now?? I learned the hard way that the bottom feeders are just sensitive to water conditions. I lost 4 cories and one was my favorite, he had no eyes.. sigh

MudHog

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
having to order a water testing kit online, hope to have it in by the weekend so I can test my water before I clean my tank Saturday and then re-test again on Sunday. My rocks are starting to turn brown.

MudHog

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Update:

I tested my water using my API Master Test Kit and here are my findings:

Ph - 7.6
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10 ppm

This is before cleaning and plan to do my monthly clean tomorrow and retest later in the evening tomorrow, along with a filter change.

Radcliffe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Those readings look good! Having the nitrates show up is good, and your frequent water changes will keep them down.
On note- it was recommended to me that I give my two bottles of liquid nitrate testing a good sturdy shaking- and after doing so my nitrate readings were through the roof! I had a big nitrate problem and had not known it was there. So, just in case, you might give your nitrate test bottles a thorough shake before using next time. It probably won't change your readings though, as your tank seems good to go!

:)

--R

MudHog

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
As I was doing the test I noted the directions said to shake Bottle #2 for 30 seconds before adding the drops and I did. So all was good on the shaking part.

Now I wonder what happened with my sharks if my readings are good even before my water change and cleaning.

Radcliffe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ah, you are good then. I read it wrong originally, and was shaking the water with the drops in, not the bottles first. lol.
Brilliant! (not) Hope your tank is doing well!

--R

PrayforMojo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
All the pet store where i am from will refund your fish if the water tests are good. Try to contact your pet store about an exchange.

MudHog

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
5/13/07 Test Results

Here are my results after my tank cleaning last week.

pH: 7.6
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5.0 ppm
Ammonia: 0

I've cut my feeding down to once every 2-3 days.

Could I have lost my sharks due to overcrowding? But my question is, I understand the overcrowing at adult size, but no-one was at adult size.

PrayforMojo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
sound like your sharks didn't make it through the cycle. i only feed a little bit twice a day. some of the fish wait for the flakes to fall because the others are agressive but i dont feed more just to make sure the little ones get enough. be consistent and the tank and the fish will find a balance. I also do 25% water changes once a week. Your sharks may have just been doomed from the start. Good luck next time.
mojo

MudHog

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks mojo man.

I used to feed in a corner away from my filter current. I fed once in the filter current and noticed the current drags the food down quicker. This works great as my Cherry Barbs are semi-agressive in feeding, but not as much as the Tiger Barbs. The current helps bring the food down toward the middle and the Cherry Barbs end up getting their meal.

vin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Grab yourself about 3 otos for the algae...They're handy little scrubbers!! Sounds like the brown stuff you had was diatoms. Otos LOVE diatoms!

PrayforMojo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
MudHog,
Great tip about letting the current take some of the food down. My black skirts are aggresive eaters where my neons are not. They usally just wait for the flakes to drop and do not even make an attempt for the bloodworms.
Mojo

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom