Is it better to breed guppies in a 25 gallon tank or just keep buying and restocking. I will be feeding my new oscar and a couple other cichlids with them. If it is best to breed could someone give me a few tips on breeding them. Thanks
I know that fish in nature often eat other fish, especially large fish like Oscars. But I still feel sorry for the guppies :-\ Guppies are so beautiful. All fish are, anyway. I can never give anything that moves/lives as food to any of my pets. I know I am crazy, but I really feel for all life, even those smallest creatures, lol I once bought live bloodworms for my Angelfish, and ... I couldn't feed them because the worms were moving so fast and curling up when I touched them. I couldn't even touch them anyway! My brother had to feed Angels for me at that time, lol, because I wouldn't do it. Never bought live bloodworms again, and never will. But I do know that live foods (if healthy) are best for fish like Angels and other bigger Cichlids.
My Oscars LOVED the guppies I fed them.. I had 2 of them and bred my own guppies for them. Even when they were both the size of a softball they loved the guppies I fed them..
I think it is a great idea.. A couple of pointers for your guppy breeding...
1) Divide the tank so the fry have a safe place to be. Or just hang those little breeder nets along the top.
2) Keep the PH around 7.5 and the temp around 78 to 80... They seem to breed more and better that way..
3) If you have a HOB filter keep it away from the fry... It'll suck them up like dust mites into a hoover.
4) Keep the heater away from the fry as well...
5) Give the fry a plant to hide in... They like that. I used to keep floating plants at the top so they were always at the top which made feeding them easier for me.
Other than that just try to keep the inbreeding to a minimum if you can... If they inbreed to much you may get midget fry and run out of food for your Oscar.
If you use a HOB filter buy a aquaclear bag and put it on your filter intake tube. Go barebottom
To make the guppies the best, feed them the best food, sorta make them plump to make your oscar healthy, so breed brine shrimp as that's a great baby food for them and they will grow faster than feeding flakes.