Feeding

FishFyer

Valued Member
Reaction score
What should I feed my new tiger oscar hes about a inch long and hes in a 65 gallon tank.

Staindsoul4Life

Reaction score
Best thing for feeding young oscars are frozen brine shrimp AND/OR freeze dried KRILL. High in protein and nutrients that helps with healthy growth and color enhancement. Ask your local petshop if they carry frozen fish food and look for Brine Shrimp.

Also look into the frozen food BEEFHEART. Great form of protein. Should be the main part of your fishes diet.

Once your oscars gets bigger [4" and up] you can supply a new diet of frozen SLIVERSIDES and SAND EELS. Good foods for large oscars that extends their longevity and overall health.

The brand that you should look for in all frozen/freeze dried fish food is SAN FRANCISCO BAY BRAND. You cant go wrong.

GOOD LUCK!

FishFyer

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice i already have some brine shrimp so i guess ill just feed him that for now untill he gets a bit bigger.

Jimold

Well Known Member
Reaction score
weird as it sounds, up north I would go to the local bait store and buy mine worms every now and then. He not only loved them, I could get him to jump a good 6" out of the tank and snatch them out of my fingers! Nourishing, and entertaining at the same time! lol

FishFyer

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ya i guess i could get some worms from a local bait store... does it bring out the red in them??

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Be careful in feeding worms from a bait and tackle shop. I have been warned by other fishkeepers that the worms are raised in feces of other animals, and this may cause disease in your fish. You'd be safer in digging some up from your backyard. I mostly feed my oscars Omega One cichlid pellets which provide just about everything they need. Of course variety is the key to healthy fish, and giving them different things each day would be great for them. Live food is always good. It keeps their spirits up too! Mine can get quite lethargic when they only get pellets all the time. Live food really perks them up, just make sure it's safe. If you want to feed feeder fish later on, you should quarantine them like you woud new fish to make sure they don't have any diseases before feeding them to your fish. Try ghost shrimp if you can get them cheap. Your oscar will thoroughly enjoy hunting this tasty treat!

FishFyer

Valued Member
Reaction score
ya i gave my oscar a feeder guppy my friend had that was almost as big as him and he ate it... it took him about an hour to get down and i thought he was going to choke lol.

Jimold

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Gunnie might be right, I always bought mine at the same shop, but other shops might be nasty. FYI I always rinsed mine off in the sink first before I fed them to my Oscar... which BTW drove my ex CRAZY!!!
If you can catch your own you'd probably be better off.
Also, in response to JoRdAn, the first time I saw my Oscar hunt another fish, he took on an iridescent shark almost as long as him. He came up behind it and litterally bit it in half, gobbled down the back half, then circled around and ate the front half before it hit the bottom of the tank!
I knew I was in love with that fish after that! lol

FishFyer

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ya i was surprised by him... now I have to distract him with flakes so i can feed my other cichlids lol

Old Sloppy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Jim said:
weird as it sounds, I could get him to jump a good 6" out of the tank and snatch them out of my fingers! 
Hey, I did allmost the same thing with mine, only I was feeding pellets instead. I would end up with gravel stuck to the celing of the room.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom