Feeding ?

1. FishFan Member Member

OK-I now have a total of 42 inhabitants in my 55 gallon tank. I feed flake food in the morning and brine shrimp in the evenings, also with a bit of flake food after the shrimp. How do I gauge how much brine shrimp to feed? When I bought a few fish at the store, they told me "One cube should be good for how many fish you have." Does that mean for the few I just bought or all of them?! I don't know, so I thought it'd be a good question to ask here. Thanks :)

2. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

IMO, a good rule of thumb would be to give your fish as much as they can consume within a minute or two. Give them a pinch or two and gauge how fast they are eating it and how much is just falling into the substrate. Alter the size of the feeding by your observations. I'm assuming that you're using the brine shrimp that comes in those frozen cube packs. Along with the flake food, I would think that a cube a day of brine shrimp for the whole tank would suffice. You have a heavily populated tank and you don't want to be fouling the water any more than you have to. Also, be sure to perform those frequent water changes (weekly or every two weeks).