Feeding

currm2952

Reaction score
When I bought my supplies for my betta, the tank came with these betta food pellet things. But the staff told me to buy these little sticks. They said that I am supposed to feed him 2 sticks every other day. Is this correct? I’m asking because I don’t feel comfortable with the staffs knowledge. I bought a previous betta from them, it passed away 3 days later & their response was “Thats what bettas do. They die.”
Another thing. He sleeps upside down beside the heater. Is that normal? (I just got him yesterday)

IMG_0917.JPG
IMG_0916.JPG
IMG_0919.JPG

By sleeping upside down I mean he sleeps head down to gravel & tail up in water.
IMG_0900.JPG

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
currm2952 said:
By sleeping upside down I mean he sleeps head down to gravel & tail up in water. View attachment 438030
None none of my bettas do it. It could be a personality trait or a swim bladde problem.

Does his swimming look normal? Some of my bettas in the past with swim bladder problems start to float a bit when they stop, but they don’t sit like that.

For feeding, I would mix it up between the 2.

Maybe like 2-4 sticks in the morning and 2-3 pellets at night.

currm2952

Reaction score
75g Discus Tank said:
None none of my bettas do it. It could be a personality trait or a swim bladde problem.

Does his swimming look normal? Some of my bettas in the past with swim bladder problems start to float a bit when they stop, but they don’t sit like that.

For feeding, I would mix it up between the 2.

Maybe like 2-4 sticks in the morning and 2-3 pellets at night.
His swimming looks pretty normal to me. He loves to hide in his plants as well. He also likes to swim to the waterflow of the filter & have it push him along, then he swims back & does it again. Ive also noticed that he uses his face to kind of try to dig at the gravel sometimes.

The small vase he was in at the pet store had the gravel sort of slanted so that when he was trying to rest on the gravel he would have to rest on a sort of incline, so could it maybe just be that he’s used to sleeping in that position so he’s sticking with it? I’m trying to feed him over a little leaf hammock to teach him to rest on it. But he just loves being right close to the heater.

currm2952

Reaction score
Adrian Burke said:
If he’s staying near the heater It might mean that your fish is too cold, or maybe he is just weird. Check that your water temperature is in a suitable area for bettas.
The water temp is good & he still loves to swim around & be active & play. Just goes to the heater to rest & then sleeps in a funky position. Also I should say he doesn’t always only sleep with his tail up like that, he also rests by laying on his belly in a normal position.

Sarah73

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
currm2952 said:
The water temp is good & he still loves to swim around & be active & play. Just goes to the heater to rest & then sleeps in a funky position. Also I should say he doesn’t always only sleep with his tail up like that, he also rests by laying on his belly in a normal position.
If he is by the heater, it means he just wants a place to rest and relax. Maybe look at a hammock/rest bed for a betta.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom