Feeding...

1. thesoulpatch

thesoulpatch Well Known Member Member

So I was wondering what everyone feets their fish, like live food. I've got 7 sa cichlids and they are all about 3-4 inches and I'm wondering if there are any live foods like worms or anything that they can eat. Other than just giving them frozen foods, flakes, and pellets.

2. BuddyD

BuddyD Valued Member Member

I wondered at one time if aquarium fish would eat worms dug up in your yard. Never got an answer to this.

3. Bizarro252

Bizarro252 Well Known Member Member

As with anything you want to get them from a known source. I would like to toss worms into my Mbuna tank but never have because who knows what fertilizers, weed killers, car/road runoff they have on/in them (not worth it IMO) - plus they can get spoiled on live foods and not want to go back to their boring pellets :)

If you want to feed something different I would look into homemade food recipes and make up a mix yourself :)

4. supersqueak10

supersqueak10 Valued Member Member

I buy live black worms for all my fish. They love them! My LFS carries them. It costs about $5.00 to feed 5 tanks for a week.

5. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

I've not tried feeding my CA/SA tank live foods...I've always been on the fence about live food since your not sure what kind of risk can be associated with live food, such as diseases and other outside factors.

If they are eating and they are cool with it, stick with the plan.