Feeding

1. Fish Girl Initiate Member

Hiya! I was wondering how many flakes of fish food I should allow per fish, how often I should feed them (is twice a day OK?) and whether they might need other things in their diet besides flakes. Of course, you don't have to reply to my interminable questions if you don't want to ;) Thanks for your time!

2. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

We love questions Fish girl :D Your fishes stomach is about the size of it's eye so you can figure from there, a variety of foods will keep your fish healthy and happy. most of us feed flakes as well as frozen foods. Depending on the type of fish then maybe some sinking pellets also. I feed a very small amount 2x a day but thats more because I like to see them eat. 1x a day is fine and less likely to overfeed.
    Carol

3. dahly Member Member

Hmmm?  It all depends on the size of your fish as to "how many flakes for each?"  I feed twice a day, a very little amount.  In my 29 (listed in my signature) I have various sized fish.  I drop a small pinch on top for the bigger tetra's, then crush a really small amount for my Neons and use a turkey baster to get it too them.  The cories fend well for themselves.  The food is gone in two minutes.  Once a week, I feed a cube of either frozen blood worms or brine shrimp for variety and protein.  "Feed as much as they can eat in 2 minutes" has been my rule of thumb.  Enjoy!