Feeding worms from backyard

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Alee C., Apr 8, 2010.

1. Alee C.

Alee C. Valued Member Member

Hey I was thinking of digging up some worms from my backyard as food for my fish. Some people have told me this is dangerous, and bad for my fish is this true???

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!
    You have to wash them good then keep them in oatmeal to clean them out. There is danger that they might bring fertilizer or other things from outside into your fish. You could always start a worm box out side so tou could have clean worms for your fish :)
    Carol

3. OP
    OP
    Alee C.

Thank you! Just wondering what does the oatmeal do?:;fr

4. Butterfly

They eat it and cleans them out as they pass it as waste.
    Carol

5. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Fish love worms!

6. OP
    OP
    Alee C.

THank you so much!:;dogrun

7. OP
    OP
    Alee C.

Yeah...I think that my ACFs will like them, and I purchased two spiny eels a couple weeks ago and they don't seem to be eating so hopefully they will eat the worms.

8. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Carol, would the oatmeal be cooked or uncooked?

9. Butterfly

uncooked.
    You can make a small box outside and put vegetable parings and coffee grounds in them. The worms go nuts and multiply very fast.
    Carol

10. l

leeishom Valued Member Member

I bought some bait worms at walmart, so oatmeal helps clean their system? Could I cut a worm in half and save the other half for later that same day?

11. Butterfly

If their in the stuff from walmarts then you don't need to transfer them to anything else. They haven't been exposed to anything that might be in the lawn.
    I think if you cut it it will die. not sure it would be good to feed for later. I tried cutting them with scissors and was so grossed( and nothing usually grosses me out) out I only use the little worms now :)
    carol

12. OP
    OP
    Alee C.

UPDATE: So I noticed tonight that one of my eels weren't looking very good, I figured it was because he was hungry, as I haven't seen either of them eat since I got them. This was really worying me as my other fish all eat as soon as I put the food in, I even see my pleco eat all the time. Anyway, I went out tonight with my mom and she got a few nightcrawlers. I dropped in the tank after rinsing it off, and at first I was disapointed because none of this fish touched it. Then I put him near the eel and the eel just swam away.

Then my Blood Parrot Cichlid took a couple bites...Then my frogs started going crazy my smaller one grabbed a bite out of the middle then my bigger one came and stuffed some of it in his mouth and drug it to his ''home''(treasure chest ornament). The worm squiggled away and I tried one last time and put him near my eel. My eel Wolf smelled him then...BIT! He bit him a few times, and he shook him. I was so excited! It was the first time I saw either eel eat. And then the worm went to the back of my tank where my other eel Cujo was buried. Cujo's head was sticking out and as soon as the worm went near him he struck and bit it! I am so excited and relieved! I'll be out all day digging for more worms tomorow!:;dogrun

13. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Glad they started eating for you. Also give live Blackworms a go if you can get them. Frozen bloodworms & brineshrimp should be accepted quite happily as will mudeyes (dragonfly larvae) if you can get them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice