Feeding While Medicating.

VanillaSpoon_

New Member
Member
Messages
37
Reaction score
2
Experience
Just started
I’m currently treating my fish for velvet/ich with Kordon Copper-Aid. I was wondering if the medication will kill all the benefical bacteria in the tank. If so, should I feed less while I’m medicating? I will monitor the perameters as closely as I can. I am also using aquarium salt idk if that will affect the answer to my questions. If the medicine kills the bacteria, should I just do water changes more often while medicating and wait till after I done medicating to add some sort of bacteria supplement? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
 

KimberlyG

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,019
Reaction score
2,924
Experience
More than 10 years
Follow Kordon's directions. It would probably be helpful to lightly feed high protein foods to boost their immune system (frozen blood worms or frozen brine shrimp).
Copper based medications can kill beneficial bacteria. This is always a hard one. Do you treat the fish, or kill your BB?
It sounds as though you did not remove your media before treatment so it is probably too late to save it. I have never had to use Copper Aid, do the instructions account for water changes?
I would have Seachem Prime on hand to bind the ammonia and nitrites during treatment.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
V

VanillaSpoon_

New Member
Member
Messages
37
Reaction score
2
Experience
Just started
KimberlyG said:
Follow Kordon's directions. It would probably be helpful to lightly feed high protein foods to boost their immune system (frozen blood worms or frozen brine shrimp).
Copper based medications can kill beneficial bacteria. This is always a hard one. Do you treat the fish, or kill your BB?
It sounds as though you did not remove your media before treatment so it is probably too late to save it. I have never had to use Copper Aid, do the instructions account for water changes?
I would have Seachem Prime on hand to bind the ammonia and nitrites during treatment.
The only thing it says about water changes is that you should replace the medicine you take out when doing water changes. I use Prime as my water conditioner. Do I just add more to the tank or what?
 

KimberlyG

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,019
Reaction score
2,924
Experience
More than 10 years
VanillaSpoon_ said:
The only thing it says about water changes is that you should replace the medicine you take out when doing water changes. I use Prime as my water conditioner. Do I just add more to the tank or what?
I will have to look at the dosing for prime on my bottle. I don't use it as a water conditioner. I only use it for binding ammonia and nitrites. I think you should be fine but I will check.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
V

VanillaSpoon_

New Member
Member
Messages
37
Reaction score
2
Experience
Just started
KimberlyG said:
I will have to look at the dosing for prime on my bottle. I don't use it as a water conditioner. I only use it for binding ammonia and nitrites. I think you should be fine but I will check.
Ok thanks so much
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
211
Guests online
2,706
Total visitors
2,917

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom