Feeding Two Ottos Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by ghardin, Jan 2, 2013.

1. ghardin

ghardinValued MemberMember

So I recently got two ottos and I'm afraid they won't get enough to eat. I hear they will eat algae wafers, but will they come up to the surface to eat them? And will they actually eat veggies? Help please! Thanks in advance!:)

2. Gordinian

GordinianWell Known MemberMember

Hello!

Ottos will generally stick to a strict algae diet. It is very hard to get them to eat processed food like algae wafers, normally they only go for the real stuff. If you don't have enough algae in your tank, I'd suggest returning them.

On a side note, tetras like the ones you have listed in your profile like schools of at least six; I'm sure the livebearers would appreciate some friends too :)

3. OP
    OP
    ghardin

Yup we're in the process of that, just upgraded from 10 to 29 and plan on bumping everyone up to a full school! And I might do that algae farming thing some people are talking about

4. chevyguy8893Well Known MemberMember

Mine won't touch algae wafers, but they have algae that I allow to grow for them to feed on. I haven't tried this, but it seems that some have had luck with feeding them blanched vegetables after the food has been in the tank for a little while. I think one of those aquarium veggie clips would work well for doing this.

Here's a link as an example. It may be an option that could work.

5. OP
    OP
    ghardin

Thanks for that article! I'm excited to see if I can get them to eat some fresh veggies, and I'm going to start an algae farm with some smooth river rocks!

6. fishaddiction

fishaddictionValued MemberMember

I know plecos like zuchini if you take off the skin and put it in the microwave for 10 seconds mine doesn't like it and I know were talking about Otto's but you might want to try it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice