Feeding trouble with German Blue Ram

Sobhan

So I got two German Blue Rams 3-4 days ago. They are currently alone in a 15 gallon with some nerite snails. They are only 1-1.5 inches big but they hide most of the time and whenever I try to feed them either small mini pellets or frozen bloodworms, they hide and don't eat..atleast not infront of me or right away. And whenever I go near the tank the male tends to usher the female into a hiding place under the driftwood and he hides as well. I know they are eating because the food I leave tends to be eaten up when I check back later. Any particular reason for this behaviour? What can I do to improve their behaviour? I also tried live microworms and the same thing, they go into hiding.

coralbandit

Can you show a picture of the tank they are in ?
The more cover they have the more comfortable they feel .

jmaldo

Depends on the fish, it may be they still need time to get use to their new home and your presence. I had a pair of Bolivians it was close to 3 weeks before they were comfortable enough not to swim and hide when I approached.

Good Luck!

Dunk2

So I got two German Blue Rams 3-4 days ago. They are currently alone in a 15 gallon with some nerite snails. They are only 1-1.5 inches big but they hide most of the time and whenever I try to feed them either small mini pellets or frozen bloodworms, they hide and don't eat..atleast not infront of me or right away. And whenever I go near the tank the male tends to usher the female into a hiding place under the driftwood and he hides as well. I know they are eating because the food I leave tends to be eaten up when I check back later. Any particular reason for this behaviour? What can I do to improve their behaviour? I also tried live microworms and the same thing, they go into hiding.
Your tank is cycled and the water parameters are ok?

CMT

Fish act like that when they are not comfortable. Like the other posters said, it could be they need more hiding places, or just a matter of time for them to settle in.

What is your temp at? I believe blue rams prefer a higher temp (82-84) than most fish.

If everything is in line condition-wise, just give it more time. They will be more social once they feel more comfortable. If they are eating, even if you can't see it, they will be fine.

Sobhan

Your tank is cycled and the water parameters are ok?
Yes. The tank has been running for nearly a year now.
Fish act like that when they are not comfortable. Like the other posters said, it could be they need more hiding places, or just a matter of time for them to settle in.

What is your temp at? I believe blue rams prefer a higher temp (82-84) than most fish.

If everything is in line condition-wise, just give it more time. They will be more social once they feel more comfortable. If they are eating, even if you can't see it, they will be fine.
Yes its at 28.5 C. There are lots of hiding places.The tank has been running for close to 10 months-11 months. I started it when the pandemic hit and added more and more plants as time passed by. I couldn't find good quality rams so I waited till I found a local breeder selling really colorful high fin type German Blues. My scape consists of aquasoil, crushed lava, driftwood looking like a tree with roots and lots of cave like spaces in between and large amounts of Java Ferns, Bacopa, Rotala and Anubias fully grown at this point. Every few months I even sell the anubias in exchange for fish food.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
J. MacGregor
Replies
Views
Riggsrg4
  • Question
Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies