Feeding Times

1. N

Nubias Valued Member Member

Hi,

Just wondering what everyone’s preferred feeding cycles are and what your feeding at certain times/durations?

For a community tank, I’m not sure on once or twice a day. Definitely think there should be a fasting day which for me would probably be a Sunday when I would do water changes and maintenance.

Thoughts?

2. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

I feed in the afternoon when i come home from work and then onec more at lights out before i go to bed.

Fish fast on sat and sunday usually

3. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Well Known Member Member

Ok. Do as I say not as I do? Lol

I feed twice a day every day unless I just can’t make it to the aquariums. We’re getting them settled in the living room now so I’ll be able to feed everyday. It’s a good idea to feed once a day, some say twice with a fasting day in there somewhere. I’m weak. :(

4. AJE

AJE Well Known Member Member

I feed in the morning. Mine fast on Sunday

5. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

I feed my fish at night. Usually an hour before I turn off the lights.

Because I feed them less, I fast only twice a month.

Fasting is important.

I onky feed my fish once because I’m busy.

I would recommend feeding once in the morning and once at night if possible.

6. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

I feed once a day but sometimes twice. I fast them on weekends.

7. SmallFishGuy

SmallFishGuy Valued Member Member

I feed mine at random times of day just so they don’t get into a routine, I like things to be natural so sometimes I’ll go a day or 2 without a feed, sometimes I over feed slightly and sometimes under feed, In nature it’s never a set time to be fed so why should it be in an aquarium

8. Seasoldier

Seasoldier Well Known Member Member

Mine get fed as & when, I work shifts including nights so they get fed when I'm home & I feed them different things each time so they get a good mix of foods, frozen, flake, micro pellets, crisps & multi-tabs & occasionally live foods when I can get them. When I'm working a 24 hour shift they fast which is usually twice sometimes three times a week. I also fortify the foods with garlic juice & vitamins once a week, usually when I feed frozen.

9. KimmyT

KimmyT Valued Member Member

We feed flakes around 7pm. My husband spoils them with blood worms once or twice a week.

10. OP
    OP
    N

Nubias Valued Member Member

Thanks for the input guys good to get some ideas

11. col7on

col7on Valued Member Member

I feed once once a day in the afternoon then bribe shrimp about every 3rd day and drop sinking pellets in a couple minutes after I turn off the lights before bed for the nocturnal catfish. Typically fast once a week fish will get used to when they are fed and when they see you walk up to the tank

12. imba

imba Valued Member Member

I feed mine once a day normally in the morning before work, and they fast once every fortnight

13. 8

83jase Valued Member Member

Mines automated twice a day with one day fast with 3 kids work it gets really busy during weeks here I forgot a few times while not a bad thing not something I'd like to make a habit of it I know they skip in the wild but that's the wild not locked up in a tank

small fishguy makes a great point mixing feeding time I didn't even think of that the simple things that get overlooked there waiting and know when and where to be mixing those times up twice day small amounts randomly is my feeding times as well swapping out foods regularly get a wide range of foods containing different vitamins minerals and trace elements

14. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I feed my fish once a day in the evening.

15. Culprit

Culprit Fishlore VIP Member

I mainly use frozen food for my saltie tanks so its a bit more of a hassle, but I usually feed sometime in the evening. I skip a day once a week. In freshwater its just whichever food is at hand when I go to bed.