20 Gallon Tank Feeding Times Help?

Anixandria
So I had an incident a few days ago. I feed all my tanks (four of them atm) at 8:30am every day. But for the first time I was late by almost 15 minutes. My fish seem to know what time it is that they eat and being fed late was completely unacceptable to them. Poor things must have thought they’d starve because one of my Glofish tetras saw my hand holding his food over his tank and jumped out of the water to try and get it before I even dropped it in! Luckily I caught him before he hit the ground or anything but it was very concerning. None of my fish have ever jumped before! Anyone else’s fish have a specific “feeding time”? Or is there something wrong with mine? (Added pic of my jumpy girl Chunk Norris)

Attachments

• C3331E8A-088B-454C-B252-C22B1B6CBDAA.jpeg
    C3331E8A-088B-454C-B252-C22B1B6CBDAA.jpeg
    197.6 KB · Views: 23

Advertisement
pagoda
Wait til you start fasting them one day a week......then eat something yourself infront of the little blighters. They are brilliant guilt trippers when it comes to food.

I wouldn't worry about being late feeding them...it will do them good to wait, better still to fast one day a week or even 2 days a week. Keeps their digestive systems working and they might even use their natural sniffing about in the substrate for morsels that they missed.

Advertisement
Sofiafish17
That’s definitely a problem with that fish. I vary feeding times a bit and my fish are fine. That is very surprising to me.

BigManAquatics
I usually feed them only before i go to bed, whether they want to wait that long or not! Though sometimes i will do a partial feeding late morning/early afternoon on the weekends. Especially of they got fasted the night before because i was working a concert or something. No jumpers, but lots of enthusiasm! Especially the plecos...

carsonsgjs
I wouldnt have said that missing feeding by 15 mins would make the fish jump out of the water - hovering your hand would have caused that though. Some fish are just jumpers.

i have a festivum that jumps above the surface when i feed bloodworm (never anything else). Pulled the little tub i use out of my hand the other day, but he did end up with a very full belly.

Anixandria
I’m glad to hear that she’s probably just excited! She’s been fine in the past few days and I’ve been EXTRA careful to feed them on time

MyFishAddiction
Yeah, a 15 minute late feeding shouldn't be a problem. Lately I've been forgeting for like 3 hours and the fish are fine.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Gypsy13
Replies
Views
fish 321
Replies
Views
Sen
Replies
Views