Feeding Them Zucchini

1. D

Daniel Nebushkow Valued Member Member

So for the past few days I've been trying to feed my cories Zucchini but they won't eat it. What should I do? I was thinking I could get them to eat it so that if I'm away for a few days I could put a slice of zucchini in there so they could feed on it for a few days. Thanks

2. m

mbkemp Valued Member Member

Most Cory's are unlikely to enjoy veges as a primary food. A fast of a few days should not be a. Issue

3. OP
    OP
    D

But many people report their cories loving Zucchini

4. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Cories are almost complete carnivores. They should be fed high protein foods, not vegetables or algae wafers. They should be fed a staple of sinking fish pellets or shrimp pellets along with frozen foods like bloodworms, brineshrimp and daphnia.

5. OP
    OP
    D

Yes but they can be fed Zucchini. People say cories love the stuff. I do already feed them meaty stuff

6. JLeeM

JLeeM Well Known Member Member

Apparently, they don't actually gain any nutrition from veggies. They may eat it yes, but all it's going to do is clean their system out. Not good for them to live off of. @Coradee can explain this concept better probably.

7. OP
    OP
    D

Hmmm. I remember seeing something on the internet about feeding cories Zucchini while you're away or something along those lines but idk. Maybe I'm wrong

But anyway do you think shrimp will eat it?

8. JLeeM

Most shrimp will eat anything. The calcium will be good for them. What kind do you have?

9. OP
    OP
    D

10. JLeeM

Yeah I like them too. If yours are anything like mine they will nibble on zucchini. I use it occasionally for my Mystery Snails, and that's when they get some.

11. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Hi, corys get little to no nutrition from veg, they need a more meatier diet so I wouldn't put veg in specifically for them, your shrimp however will enjoy the veg

Ian Fuller can explain better than me about corys & veg/algae diet here's a couple of quotes, posted with his permission

"Corydoradine fishes are basically filter feeders and may graze over living algae growths searching for the microscopic life that breeds and grows in it, but they are not equipped with teeth for scraping and removing algae, their gut are also not equipped to digest it."

"They do not have teeth for grazing so green foods are of little use, they may be mouthed, like they mouth the bio film that forms on all things submerged searching for micro organisms, shrimp and larvae and the like. The love small worm like tubifex and finely chopped earth worms, Daphnia and Cyclops."

12. B

Betrayer Well Known Member Member

Something else to consider is that I wouldn't suggest leaving zucchini (or any vegetable) in your tank for several days. I regularly feed veggies and some fruit to my BN pleco, but I always remove them from the tank within 24-hours. It can start to affect water quality as it begins to break down.

As a side note, I've never seen my cories eat any of the veggies. The BN loves them and so do my snails. My honey gouramis take a few nibbles, but my cories don't. Not saying that no cories do, it just hasn't been my experience.

I agree that you don't need to worry about fasting them for a few days. If they are generally well-fed and healthy, it shouldn't be a problem at all.