Feeding the BN veggies How do you prepare them?

inari

So I have officially named my BN pleco. His name (I'm assuming male) is Dyson (like the vacuum cleaner). I call him this because he has put a massive dent in my algae since I brought him home.
My question: I know you can feed them things like Cucumber and Squash, but how do you prepare it? How much should you give? Does it need to be cooked? I have drift wood in there that he seems to love, I often find him sucking on the same spot for quite some time and I know that should be offered for digestive health, but what veggies should be offered and how do you prepare them? Also, something I was wondering about is will my angelfish also want to eat some of it as it sinks to the bottom, if they do will that create an issue for the Dyson?

Thanks guys!
~Inari

StarGirl

Mine likes Zucchini best with the skin on. She eats the skin first every time. I wash it and chop it to the sizes I want, then freeze them on a plate so they dont stick together frozen. I thaw it in tank water and have to use a weight to weigh it down but she loves it. I use plant weights but others use skewers, forks etc. No cooking required.

Nopsu

I feed spinach leaves and zucchini often, boil 10 minutes, drop in cold water and then they should not float. I use chop sticks to hold them so fish don't move them around. Try starting with a small piece and remove everything not eaten after a day
Depends on the fish if he will eat them raw, i like to blanch or boil everything for my tetras since they did not eat them raw

BigManAquatics

Slice and boil then drop in the tank when they cool off a bit. Wish i could get nore than one feeding, but wife and daughter like sliced boiled zuchinni.

Demeter

Watermelon and cucumber I feed raw. Frozen veggies simply need to be thawed, fresh raw veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, yellow squash, zucchini, green beans and bell peppers should all be boils till somewhat soft.

I use a fork to keep it weighed down, remove after a day.

Flyfisha

I find zucchini the easiest to feed . I rinse and wipe with a paper towel. I use BBQ skewers on string. Minimum 10 hours maximum 24 hours.( overnight)
I cut a 20 cm chunk which is to much for one fish but the right size so it stays in one piece on the skewer.

Don’t be surprised if it takes Dyson a few tries before he works out it’s food.
Other fish can pick on vegetables no worries.

Noroomforshoe

I recommend steamed blanched or raw veggies, and somtimes canned. boiling takes away nutrients. I skewer the slice of veggie on the end of a spoon and drop it in the tank. I do not recommend using a fork, your fish could get injured. It is best to feed at night since pleco are nocturnal, just don't forget to take it out in the morning. you can tie a string on the spoon to make it easier to grab during that morning rush to get to work.
I have feed my pleco and loaches cucumber, zuchini, yam, green beens, canned carrot, watermelon close to the rind, cantalope, jack fruit, kale, squash "they Love that green squash that looks like a cucmber." You can try almost anything.I avoid acids like oranges and grapefruit, I dont know if it's bad for them, better safe than sorry.

You will want to try different things, and try them more then once. And yes the angel fish will be interested, but in my experiance with them, it shoudnt be an issue.

StarGirl

Once they are frozen they are super soft when thawed. So no need for cooking.

PeterFishKeepin

I tried no boiling for mine he barely touched it after 24hrs, no i get a slice of zucchini and drop in a cup of boiling water for 5-10mins to soften it then weigh it down after a couple hours he finishes it but leaves the harder skin on outside, im considiring boiling it a bit more to make it really soft for him.

FishDin

Mine likes Zucchini best with the skin on. She eats the skin first every time. I wash it and chop it to the sizes I want, then freeze them on a plate so they dont stick together frozen. I thaw it in tank water and have to use a weight to weigh it down but she loves it. I use plant weights but others use skewers, forks etc. No cooking required.
That's funny. Mine eat everything but the skin. :)

jackywacky

wait can it just be a eating fork?

PeterFishKeepin

If your asking about if it can be a standard fork, like cutlery dessert fork, big fork any fork can work as long as it's not rusty and is weight so it sinks holding down the vegetable. I used a small old round carbon cartridge you could use a bio ring container and then fill with rocks and attach a toothpick then thread the veg onto toothpick, if you want tomorrow I can take a photo of what I mean

jackywacky

If your asking about if it can be a standard fork, like cutlery dessert fork, big fork any fork can work as long as it's not rusty and is weight so it sinks holding down the vegetable. I used a small old round carbon cartridge you could use a bio ring container and then fill with rocks and attach a toothpick then thread the veg onto toothpick, if you want tomorrow I can take a photo of what I mean
thanks

StarGirl

Yes. Just make sure to put the tongs down so they don't stab themselves

Nopsu

Ive uses plastic chopsticks myself to skewer the veggies

Ssnaaiil

My bn pleco loves blanched veggies. Zucchini, kale, spinach, pumpkin, green beans

inari

Wow, thanks a ton guys! Some of these veggies I didn't even think about feeding them. I had no idea that the tetras would pick at them as they don't seem to pick at the algae in my tank as the angelfish do. I appreciate the advice and guidance, when we make some zucchini later this week I'll steam some and drop them in the tank. Has anyone ever steamed them, and kept them in the fridge? Did you have any issues with that?

Nopsu

Wow, thanks a ton guys! Some of these veggies I didn't even think about feeding them. I had no idea that the tetras would pick at them as they don't seem to pick at the algae in my tank as the angelfish do. I appreciate the advice and guidance, when we make some zucchini later this week I'll steam some and drop them in the tank. Has anyone ever steamed them, and kept them in the fridge? Did you have any issues with that?
Have not kept them in a fridge but feeze some pieces in a small plastic container and just pop a piece to thaw in small amount of tank water when you need.

CMT

I blanch a bunch of pieces at a time, then freeze them until needed. Put enough for one feeding in the cheap zip lock snack bags, then all the snack bags into a freezer bag. It keeps them from getting freezer burn and also still easy to take out a serving size at a time to feed.

I do zucchini, cucumber, bell peppers, spinach. When blanched they sink and I just leave them in the tank until gone. Whatever the pleco and SAE don't get to, the mystery snails clean up.

The spinach is the favorite. Everything flocks to that.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
inari
Replies
Views
Megaanemp
Replies
Views
Rshore
  • Question
Replies