Feeding suggestions wanted.

1. Captin P Member Member

I have recently started a 55g mbuna tank, I have 4 Yellow labs (Labidochromis caeruleus)and 4 Electric blue (Sciaenochromis fryeri). I will be adding more to stay aggression. I picked up some Spectrum Cichlid 1mm sinking pellets. I am now wondering if that may have too much protein. I am worried about Malawi bloat. The label shows 34% crude protein. Is there a better food for these guys. I read that Spirulina flake might be good. Any thoughts??

2. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Spirulina is good. You need to read the labels though. Sometimes there isn't much spirulina in "Spirulina Flakes"

You can also feed vegetables like cucumber, zucchini and stuff like that. I take a vegetable clip and clip algae sheets in to some of my tanks as well. I'll try to find you the thread on veggies you can feed to fish.

Edit: Here's the Vegetable thread https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/fish-food/115456-what-veggies-do-you-feed-your-fish-2.html Page 2 has a list of things that he's tried.

3. STLBluesFan Member Member

myself and many others will refer you to an NLS food.

4. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

He's already got NLS :D

5. STLBluesFan Member Member

OH sorry, haha, i just read spectrum and never put it together lol, embarrassing

6. Captin P Member Member

Wow, what a great link Cichlidnut! So much information. I tried spinach today and it took a minuet but when they realized they liked it they went nuts for it. Do you use the NLS? and how much of the veggies? Is it daily or just occasionally?

7. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

As long as all the food is getting eaten, you can feed daily. Might want to chop up some of the harder stuff to break apart. I don't have any mbuna but I do use NLS and love it. I think between veggies and NLS you're going to be doing great ;D

8. Disc61 Well Known Member Member

to reinforce cichlidnuts comments, i keep Mbunas and have been using NLS with no issues. i do give them a variety of veggies as well.

9. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

What about frozen?

10. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Frozen what? Meaty foods are bad for mbuna.

11. Captin P Member Member

im going to try peas tomorrow just because I already have some. Im glad to hear that about NLS. I feel much more comfortable about using it. THanks everyone!