Feeding shrimps with vegetable question

LordGrim

HI all,
I have been feeding my shrimps different kinds of vegetables (cabbage, lettuce, spinach, carrot and cucumber) once every week.
I will use one or two leaves or slides of carrot/cucumber, place them into a cup of water and microwave for 1-2mins. Let them cool down and rubber band them with a air stone to sink them down.(photo) I will take whatever remain out after around 24hrs in tank.
Heres' the question;
When I drop the vegetable in, the shrimps or ottos are not interested at all for at least 12hrs. Maybe 1 or 2 shrimp will hop onto the veg than swim away. They usually begin to swarm over the veg and eat after placing it overnight. Why is it so? Is the vegetable too hard for them, should I microwave longer to soften it? It happen to every veg I fed them, when I place algae wafers in, the shrimp will go crazy in a min so I don't think is the light that disturb them from eating. Any advice on this odd behavior will be appreciated. Thanks

richiep

I don't like the microwave I always boil all mine but that's me at the end of the day you veg needs to be soft enough for them to RIP apart so hard veg like broccolI stem I cook for 20 minutes zucchinI de seeded cut into 1" cube boil for 5 to 7 minutes, kale leaf needs 12 minutes spinach boil 40seconds, try some of the boil method and compare with microwave to see if you are cooking long enough, they will not eat hard veg they are unable to pull it apart, carrot is very hard and will need 20 minutes boiling

LordGrim

Ok I shall try boiling nxt week, I use microwave because its faster and easier for the lazy me. hahaha

richiep

Theres no problem using a microwave it's just getting used to knowing how long to cook for,do you put it in water in the micro

LordGrim

Theres no problem using a microwave it's just getting used to knowing how long to cook for,do you put it in water in the micro
Yup, I mircrowave the veg in a cup of water

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views
Bithimala
  • Question
Replies
Views