Feeding shrimp cooked vegetables

richiep
A thread was started yesterday regarding holding zucchini down with a fork, my post there was, theres no need if prepared before hand and the topic kicked off, so I decided to do some tests and the first was to copy one of our members to see it it would work for me, I'll post results plus add information and photos
This thread is made up with shrimp at the front but none the less will help those with fish,
First off when it comes to feeding shrimp vegetables they must be prepared for a few reasons
1st anything they eat must be soft enough for them to start eating, shrimp have pincers on certain legs to pull food apart its then passed to the inner smaller pincers where it can be pulled apart further to be eaten, putting raw veg like zucchini, kale, spinach, broccoli stem, is just a waste of time as I'll prove in my first batch of photos,
About 24hrs ago I diced some zucchini and dropped it in a cup with some boiling water after 16minutes 1 piece sank but I had to replenish with hot water, it took 23 minutes for all to sink and two changes of hot water, photo 1

20210426_182405.jpg

Everyone here is quite aware of what my shrimp do to veg when added and as usual they swarmed around the food but it was short lived and 24hrs later in photo 2 you can see they stopped trying to eat it they could not pick the food off because its too tuff photo three I've taken the zucchini out and as you can see a complete waste of time my shrimp normally get rid of this much in 4hrs.

20210427_112909.jpg

16195457455333949242177304617013.jpg

Now then many of you won't know but you can research the Fact part if you want.
zucchini cooked for 8minutes will be soft enough for you critters to completely devour like mine do within hours, make sure you de seed zucchini before putting in the tank as they don't eat the seeds and they will only pollute the tank
(Fact) cooked zucchini offers simular nutrition raw, zucchini looses a little vitamin A but vitamin C is slightly increased when cooked, so not only do we loose very little nutritional values but you shrimp, soft mouthed fish, pleco that have that rasp for hard food will find it easier to eat and it will digest easier,
Your shrimp will pull the fine particles off and not waste energy because they don't have a hammer and chisel on them

Next let's go to spinach a little fragile leaf to you me and many fish but for shrimp it's a leather jacket with hidden problems of its own if eaten raw. Spinach holds Oxalic acid which hinders the calcium shrimp need but as soon as the spinach is put in boiling water it renders the Oxalic acid inert and by boiling for 30 seconds it becomes soft enough for the shrimp to rip apart
Next kale this is one of the best if you can get them to eat it but again it's so tuff it must be processed they will not eat this raw and its bitter, by cooking this for 11 minutes it dose loose quite a bit of its values but even boild you will get goodness into anything that eats it,

Nettles you can class the same as spinach

Broccoli I feed a lot but again it must be prepared or they cannot break into it, cook for 20min so when you since the stem its soft inside
One other very important factor with all vegetables you can loose some goodness if over cooked but by steaming it's found you loose very little of anything but you need to test this out as to how long you steam things before they are soft enough to eat
Even after boiling or steaming I use wooden skewer with led on the bottom to hold it down,
The times I've stated are what I've found out by testing food myself and nowhere else.

20190522_131852.jpg

20190522_131947.jpg

20190522_132104.jpg

20190522_132217.jpg

20190522_132858.jpg

Do this and your shrimp will feed like this

20210318_193022.jpg

mattgirl AcornTheBetta

flopperfrog
richiep said:
A thread was started yesterday regarding holding zucchini down with a fork, my post there was, theres no need if prepared before hand and the topic kicked off, so I decided to do some tests and the first was to copy one of our members to see it it would work for me, I'll post results plus add information and photos
This thread is made up with shrimp at the front but none the less will help those with fish,
First off when it comes to feeding shrimp vegetables they must be prepared for a few reasons
1st anything they eat must be soft enough for them to start eating, shrimp have pincers on certain legs to pull food apart its then passed to the inner smaller pincers where it can be pulled apart further to be eaten, putting raw veg like zucchini, kale, spinach, broccoli stem, is just a waste of time as I'll prove in my first batch of photos,
About 24hrs ago I diced some zucchini and dropped it in a cup with some boiling water after 16minutes 1 piece sank but I had to replenish with hot water, it took 23 minutes for all to sink and two changes of hot water, photo 1

20210426_182405.jpg

Everyone here is quite aware of what my shrimp do to veg when added and as usual they swarmed around the food but it was short lived and 24hrs later in photo 2 you can see they stopped trying to eat it they could not pick the food off because its too tuff photo three I've taken the zucchini out and as you can see a complete waste of time my shrimp normally get rid of this much in 4hrs.

20210427_112909.jpg

16195457455333949242177304617013.jpg

Now then many of you won't know but you can research the Fact part if you want.
zucchini cooked for 8minutes will be soft enough for you critters to completely devour like mine do within hours, make sure you de seed zucchini before putting in the tank as they don't eat the seeds and they will only pollute the tank
(Fact) cooked zucchini offers simular nutrition raw, zucchini looses a little vitamin A but vitamin C is slightly increased when cooked, so not only do we loose very little nutritional values but you shrimp, soft mouthed fish, pleco that have that rasp for hard food will find it easier to eat and it will digest easier,
Your shrimp will pull the fine particles off and not waste energy because they don't have a hammer and chisel on them

Next let's go to spinach a little fragile leaf to you me and many fish but for shrimp it's a leather jacket with hidden problems of its own if eaten raw. Spinach holds Oxalic acid which hinders the calcium shrimp need but as soon as the spinach is put in boiling water it renders the Oxalic acid inert and by boiling for 30 seconds it becomes soft enough for the shrimp to rip apart
Next kale this is one of the best if you can get them to eat it but again it's so tuff it must be processed they will not eat this raw and its bitter, by cooking this for 11 minutes it dose loose quite a bit of its values but even boild you will get goodness into anything that eats it,

Nettles you can class the same as spinach

Broccoli I feed a lot but again it must be prepared or they cannot break into it, cook for 20min so when you since the stem its soft inside
One other very important factor with all vegetables you can loose some goodness if over cooked but by steaming it's found you loose very little of anything but you need to test this out as to how long you steam things before they are soft enough to eat
Even after boiling or steaming I use wooden skewer with led on the bottom to hold it down,
The times I've stated are what I've found out by testing food myself and nowhere else.

20190522_131852.jpg

20190522_131947.jpg

20190522_132104.jpg

20190522_132217.jpg

20190522_132858.jpg

Do this and your shrimp will feed like this

20210318_193022.jpg

mattgirl AcornTheBetta
how long to steam/boil so that it won’t lose nutritional value but will still be soft dough to eat?

richiep
This is where I said you need to test for yourself as its down to equipment used, tbh I wouldn't worry to much and cook in boiling water my shrimp have always done well that way on zucchini
The only others I cook now is spinach, broccoli, young nettle in spring, they will still benefit from boiling or blanching, you may loose some values by boiling or blanching but unless you do they won't eat it,

jmaldo
richiep
Very Nice write-up. Did not know about de-seeding.
Another vegetable I feed shrimp and "Wet Pets" is Brussels Sprouts. Recommended by DoubleDutch
I parboil / steam for 10 mins, let cool and they sink to the bottom. I do 1/2 lb at a time and then freeze, take some out and thaw for a few hours then drop in.
Usually in 24 hours they are devoured.

RCS Brussel Sprout.jpg

Oto and Shrimp Brussel sprout.jpg

Amano Brussel Sprout.jpg

Just my .02

Good Luck!

Marlene327
I never would've thought about brussels sprouts! I do zucchini, cucumber and spinach, and just boil them, I haven't steamed them yet but can give that a try. If I can find a young zucchini without seeds yet, I just peel it, slice it and boil 5-6 minutes. I don't make the slices very thick, but would just add 1-2 minutes if I did. If the zucchini has seeds, I quarter it lengthwise and scoop the seeds, then cut into chunks and boil. Same with the cucumber, but even young ones have seeds.

I'm having cooked broccoli for dinner tonight, will add a piece to a few tanks and see how they like it. My shrimp, snails and many fish (CORIES!) love veggies. And of course the SAE - they're piggies in my tanks except when it comes to actually eating algae.

About BROCCOLI - is it true they eat the thicker stems as well as the florets? I don't like to eat them, it would be better to cook them soft and give them to fish instead of putting them in the compost pile.

When I buy a few zucchinis at a time, I peel them, cook them, dry them on paper towels, then lay them into large freezer bags so they're flat and separated, and freeze them. If I have 2 or more bags like that, I combine them when they're frozen, then they can touch each other. Just take what you want from the freezer, plop them into the water and they quickly thaw and drop down. As the summer growing season approaches, I'm looking forward to some home-grown veggies I can fill the freezer with for winter for them.

JPH1970
Interesting thread. Thanks for posting

richiep
jmaldo DoubleDutch is a bit of a master when it comes to this, I dont think your tank will profit by any seeds like that or peppers
10min for sprouts is good to know, I didn't anyway
Do you get any smell from them while they're in the water
I couldn't fit this into the original post
So a little add on
Broccoli the top part is eaten by the wife so I get the bottom, the stem is cooked for 20 minutes then cooled in cold water, I then slice into 3 thin strips and feed this is normally gone in a few hrs,

20210429_154557.jpg

20210429_154644.jpg

20210429_154651.jpg

Any foods you prepare like this the chances are they won't eat it at first, if this is the case take it out after a few hrs and dont feed anything for two days then try them again, do this a few times and they will come around and benefit from your perseverance

HupGuppHup
Great info - thanks much!

Top Bottom