10 Gallon Tank Feeding Saltwater Crabs

JtheFishMan
One of the workers that I bought a few crabs from said that they don’t need to be fed. He said that they filter feed. Is this true? I put some dried seaweed in tank just to be safe, but do they really filter feed and don’t need additional food to be fed?

ChrissFishes01
Those look like Blue Hermit Crabs - they're scavengers. They'll eat any leftover food in the tank, and sift through detritus. So I wouldn't really feed them, unless the tank is completely clean and uncycled, since you WANT them cleaning and looking for food.

They're definitely not filter feeders, though. Some crabs are, but these are definitely not.

JtheFishMan
HarrisonAquatics said:
Those look like Blue Hermit Crabs - they're scavengers. They'll eat any leftover food in the tank, and sift through detritus. So I wouldn't really feed them, unless the tank is completely clean and uncycled, since you WANT them cleaning and looking for food.

They're definitely not filter feeders, though. Some crabs are, but these are definitely not.
Thanks so much. I’ll lay off the seaweed for now then. I have three chunks of live rock, so they can clean through there and through the sand.

Top Bottom