feeding rummy noses

Discussion in 'Rummy Nose Tetra' started by midthought, Apr 16, 2010.

1. midthought

midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

For people who own or have owned rummy nose tetras, did they come to the surface when you put in food? I think that's how I've seen rummies feed at the LFS...but my guys never go that high in the tank (29g long) and like to feed at the bottom with my cories and blue ram. :shock: It's cute and all, but I don't know how to train them to come to the top for food. Pavlovian training (learn to expect Big Person Coming to Open Lid, Food Falls from Sky) doesn't seem to work with them like it does with my more, uh, intelligent fish...no offense to rummies. >.>

2. harpua2002

harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

It took mine months to come to the surface for food. I bet yours will get the hang of it eventually. Also, the more cover they have, the more comfortable they feel. :)

3. OP
    OP
    midthought

Oh okay, I'm glad that it'll happen in time though. Phew. It's like having tiny cories with tiny mouths right now! I'll have more of them and my plants will be taller by then too, so it should work out in terms of security.

4. bolivianbaby

bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

Mine always come to the top for food. They've been like that since a week after I brought them home. I'd say just give them time to get used to their home.

5. OP
    OP
    midthought

Yeah, see, I would *think* that they would learn to come to the top because that's how they're fed in the stores...but my kids are stubborn (or stupid?), I suppose. I'll just give them time and hope that they'll wise up to the smorgasbord at the surface eventually. ;D

6. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

I've had Rummies in one of my tanks for about 6 months & they are only just starting to come into the top half of the tank to feed. Over the years I've had some that eat from the surface straight away & some that never got the hang of it. I don't think it really matters so long as they are getting a bit of the stuff that sinks they will be fine.

7. haji4

haji4Valued MemberMember

Mine never come to the top, they wait for the others to knock it down. My Angels and and Albino tiger barbs hit so hard they knock it off the top and they wait patiently under the others for their food to fall. They like brine shrimp and blood worms too.

8. LyndaB

LyndaBFishlore LegendMember

When I feed my fish, I tap lightly on the cover 3 times. They've learned that that means food is coming and every fish but the rainbow shark comes up.

9. OP
    OP
    midthought

My bettas understand the tapping, the hood being lifted, extra activity around the tank, etc. The rummies just freak out when I do those things though. -_- Don't tell them I said this, but I think they're just dumber. :-X I'll just give them time. I've seen them go closer to the surface than I've ever seen them before in the last couple days, but not for food. I just hope they learn someday...

P.S. just to be clear, the bettas and rummies aren't in the same tank. I was just comparing their behavior.