Feeding RCS and copper sulphate

proudtobeafarmgirl

Valued Member
Messages
231
Reaction score
0
Points
101
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hellp Everyone,

I am a brandnew member on this site and find it very friendly and informative!
Just a question that has me confused - I have Red Cherry Shrimp in a 10 gallon planted tank with guppies and a catfish and everyone says that shrimp are sensitive to copper then they turn around and say to feed the Cherries algae wafers and shrimp pellets - read the bag and there is copper sulphate in there! I accidently fed them a algae wafer before I read the bag, did not seem to hurt them and they did not get to eat it anyway as the guppies fought over it and pigged out until it was gone. What do you think? How much copper can they take?
 

mathas

Well Known Member
Messages
1,676
Reaction score
80
Points
143
Experience
5 to 10 years
How much copper can they take?
As with most chemicals, it's a matter of concentration.

suggest that the LC50 for cherry shrimp is between .14 and .76ppm.

I doubt you're getting that much from one algae wafer, especially if it was eaten and didn't have a chance to dissolve. The "sensitivity to copper" warning is more against copper-based medications, which tend to be of significantly higher concentration.
 

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Messages
1,633
Reaction score
32
Points
143
Experience
Just started
I don't know of you have Petsmart in Canada, but if you do, the Top Fin brand algae wafers do not have copper in them. However the shrimp pellets do--oh the irony! I'm sure there are other brands of both algae wafers and shrimp pellets without copper, I've just never looked.

And welcome to Fish Lore!

-Lisa
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom