Feeding rams.

1. MatthewM

MatthewM Valued Member Member

Got two new german blue rams, idk what to give them. I read they dont readily take flakes, which seems true for mine. They put them in their mouth then spit them out. They do however eat my shrimp pellets. Do those have the nutrients and such they need? It seems like it would lack for them...i don't have live food available. But i do have a store that offers frozen blood worms. Would those work? And how do i feed them? I got them from a petco because for a petco, they were great rams, and cheap. Not sure what the store feeds them. From the looks of the other fish, they didnt get fed well or often.. ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438744821.262131.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438744833.389639.jpg

2. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

Beautiful rams! :) mine eats flakes ok, won't touch pellets. Mine also likes shrimp sticks and goes absolutely nuts for frozen brine shrimp.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. OP
    OP
    MatthewM

Is there much of a difference between frozen and freeze dried? I can get freeze dried.

4. m

mikerox29 Well Known Member Member

My rams will literally eat anything. When i first got them i used a food that was specifically for fry and they loved it. I think it had an egg base or something

5. Jswin

Jswin Well Known Member Member

Mine eat a mix of flakes, pellets, and freeze dried brine shrimp, bloodworms, and tubifex

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

I don't use freeze dried foods myself but I imagine they'd be worth a try for you. Just rehydrate them in tank water before you feed them, otherwise they can expand in the fish's belly and cause bloat. I get the omega one frozen brine shrimp, thaw a cube in some tank water and slowly pour it in, my ram chases the shrimp around and very happily gobbles them up. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

7. OP
    OP
    MatthewM

8. p

ppt New Member Member

Rams are most shy fishes i ever got.
    They will eat any food, but it take time for them, they eat it very slowly by comparing others.

Sent from my SM-T211 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

9. f2002

f2002 Valued Member Member

Beautiful rams!

My gold ram would eat almost anything. He eats shrimp pellets, New Life Spectrum pellets, algae wafers, freeze dried blodworms, my poor baby red cherry shrimp, etc.

As the biggest fish in my tank, he gets first dibs on everything and he's not shy about doing that.

One interesting thing is that he would even eat the blanched cucumber slices I put in for my hillstream loaches. He would take these giant, violent bites out of it, like a hungry lion tearing off meat from a dead carcass. It is pretty fun to see.

10. OP
    OP
    MatthewM

Nice information, thanks. Mine are actually some if the smallest in my tank lol. One is like an inch and the other is like inch and a half. A lot of my tetras are much larger

11. t

tameone Valued Member Member

My ram eats flakes & pellets, but loves frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms (all the fish do). He eats more slowly than the other fish, so I have to be conscientious and target him on pellet days with sinking pellets to make sure he gets enough. Frozen food isn't an issue; he gets plenty on his own accord, and I feed this 2-3 times/week (frozen 2-3x, pellets & flakes 1-2x, pellets only 2-3x).

For frozen food; buy the smaller cubes if you can. Take a small glass (I use shot glass) of tank water, and melt the cube in it. I stir it around with a nut pick (google image search it for an idea of the tool). For brine shrimp, I gently dump the whole cube in at once. The fish go nuts. For blood worms, I scoop them out a few at a time with the nut pick and drop them in the tank. I do this because they sink more readily and everything will just end up on the bottom otherwise. I believe fish should consume frozen food in less than a minute total. For me, this is one small 1.75oz/50g cube of either brine or bloodworms. If I have 100g cubes, I cut them in half.