Feeding Qty - Want To Make Sure I Am Doing It Right

Discussion in 'African Cichlids' started by Bizarro252, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Bizarro252

Bizarro252 Well Known Member Member

Hi everyone!
    I have an Mbuna tank (there are some haps too, a group of Livingstonii) I feed them a mix of NLS algae pellets and cichlid formula, usually by giving them a pinch of the algae and then more the cichlid formula - JUST to make sure they are getting their veggies :)

The 'general' rule I see if you look around the net is feed what they will completely consume in 1-2 minutes. I usually sprinkle the food in back and forth so that its over a wide enough area they can all get some without climbing all over each other... but if I actually kept going for a minute or more I think they would eat until they explode. I have witnessed them before scooping up as many pellets as they can, taking it somewhere else in the tank, spitting them out and eating them as well, basically they will eat, and eat, and eat as far as I can tell.

They always all search the ground all over the tank to pick up any scraps as well, but I am feeding 24 fish I would say a teaspoon, maybe more (I should measure...) a day.

Whats the standard rules for mbuna, or any aggressive eating fish? I have usually just stopped once I know everyone has got some because A) I dont want to give them bloat, and B) I dont want to overfeed and ruin my water quality.

Mbuna tank owners that feed pellets, what do ya do?!?!
    :D

2. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

Malawi Bloat runs rampant in tanks that feed "as much as they can eat in 2 minutes". You sound okay. Mine get a little less.

3. OP
    OP
    Bizarro252

Whew. I mean they grow, are breeding, and seem happy and healthy. I have read they should basically always look like they are starving when you approach the tank and mine do that, even right after they are fed lol.
    I have seen some adults in LFS's with sunken in bellies (as well as my females if they hold their fry to long, then I have to snag them out and strip them) and unless its a holding female they all look...normal... :) I have noticed one of mine looks...well, fat this week though, not sure if hes just fat or has mild bloat - I am fasting them tonight anyways (try to once a week but seem really good at forgetting to).

4. KimberlyG

Today was fast day for mine. They don't like it at all. lol

5. OP
    OP
    Bizarro252

Secondary question. Those of you who feed pellets, do you actually soak them first? I feed the 1mm NLS Cichlid ones and never do...and I cant imagine feeding these large fish flakes, it would take forever to get them enough food and make a huge mess of the water...

6. KimberlyG

7. OP
    OP
    Bizarro252

That doesnt foul your water? I feed flake and pellet in my community and I HATE the flakes (but use them because there are some tetras in there that cant fit the pellets in their mouth and when I tried the VERY small size they didnt seem to see/find them...)

8. FishandFun

FishandFun Valued Member Member

How is that possible? My Oscar makes a huge mess with PELLETS.

9. KimberlyG

I've never had a problem.

10. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

I also feed mine flakes and I've never had a problem. They LOVE spirulina flakes but they only get them once in awhile because I noticed the yellow labs get black dots on their mouths if they eat to much of it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice