Feeding Problems Help

1. Cam1112

Cam1112 New Member Member

I got some freeze dried shrimp for the betta fish, recomended to me from the pet store, as treats but they’re quite big. I’m really worried he will choke on them cause he just stuffs everything in his mouth without breaking it up first. Is there anyway I could stop that from happening? Should I soak them first or will I have to resort to the cutting them up?

2. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Well Known Member Member

Fish can’t choke.

3. OP
    OP
    Cam1112

Cam1112 New Member Member

I’ve heard that they can. I’ll do some research though.

4. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Well Known Member Member

The closest thing to choking they can do is something get lodged in their mouth/throat that is so large that it prevents the gills from moving. However, this is very rare, and would most likely be something harder than food. Especially freeze dried, as it’s soft compared to pellets. If it makes you worry less, then yes, break them up.

5. Lollipop0912

Lollipop0912 Valued Member Member

If your super concerned, I’d just break it in half. (I get being worried.)

6. BReefer97

BReefer97 Well Known Member Member

Just cut them up a little bit. Betta fish actually chew their food before swallowing, I figured this out when my room was really quiet and I could hear him munching on his food, actually very adorable!

7. Obi3ice

Obi3ice Valued Member Member

Cut them to bits and pieces and feed your adorable Betta, that way you won’t be worried.

8. DuaneV

DuaneV Well Known Member Member

He has no way to break it up before it goes into his mouth. He has no arms. He breaks it up WITH his mouth.

Ive seen fish that had another fish jammed in its mouth that was just as big if not bigger and they were swimming around fine. Fish can eat anything that fits into their mouth, literally.

9. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

Just this morning I had to dislodge a juvenile peacock from the mouth of a small species of Victoria hap. Of course the rotten bugger wanted to eat one of the larger fry rather than one of the smaller guys. Of course it had to be one I really wanted to grow out and possible breed in the future. I figured it'd be fine seeing as the smaller juveniles having been bothered for the past 2 weeks, but no.

But yes, just break the pieces of blood worm and perhaps soak them in water before feeding them. I'm pretty sure he would be plenty capable of eating a piece whole though, most bettas don't have any issue eating soft blood worms.