Feeding Pleco Fry

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A quick question. Is it possible to over feed pleco fry. I am feeding them zucchini, green bell pepper, sinking bottom feeder wafers, shrimp pellets and veggie rounds. I don't feed all the different processed food daily. I rotate them but I do constantly have some fresh veggies in there.

They are going through a 2 inch long piece of zucchini daily or a 2 inch wide 4 inch long slice of bell pepper. Along with the processed food I add daily.

I know fry need more food than adults but am I over feeding them? I am guessing there are approximately 50 fry in there. They are 5 1/2 weeks old now. Is it alright to constantly keep a piece of veggie in for them? I put a fresh piece in daily and it is all gone by the next day.

yukondog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
When I breed my BN I keep food in the tank fresh veggie's in every day and change it out daily, just stay on top of your water changes.

AngelsAbove

Valued Member
Reaction score
As yukondog pointed out, you can feed them constantly as long as you are really on top of WCs. I do two 50% water changes a day for my fry. I've noticed that produces much healthier fish and they grow faster too.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
yukondog said:
When I breed my BN I keep food in the tank fresh veggie's in every day and change it out daily, just stay on top of your water changes.
Thank you. I kinda figured that to be the case. I change out 75% of the water every other day and on the no water change day I suction up the waste with my trusty turkey baster.
AngelsAbove said:
As yukondog pointed out, you can feed them constantly as long as you are really on top of WCs. I do two 50% water changes a day for my fry. I've noticed that produces much healthier fish and they grow faster too.
Twice a day? Maybe I should be doing it every day instead of every other day. I know these little guy are growing like weeds.

AngelsAbove

Valued Member
Reaction score
mattgirl said:
Thank you. I kinda figured that to be the case. I change out 75% of the water every other day and on the no water change day I suction up the waste with my trusty turkey baster.

Twice a day? Maybe I should be doing it every day instead of every other day. I know these little guy are growing like weeds.
I do it twice a day, but I don't think its necessary for everyone, tbh. Really depends on the size of your tank and # of fry. I would recommend no less then 50% a day if you have more then two fry for every gallon of water.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I know some folks will be horrified to read this but right now they are in a 3 gallon sterlite storage tote. I had a well seeded sponge filter so was able to instantly cycle this little container. I do keep a close eye on the perimeters and so far the cycle is holding steady.

I will be moving them to a bigger home in a couple of weeks. I wanted them bigger before I moved them to my 15 gallon grow out tank. Right now I have a couple of mollies in it so don't want to take a chance if the fry being harassed or even eaten by the mollies.

AngelsAbove

Valued Member
Reaction score
mattgirl said:
I know some folks will be horrified to read this but right now they are in a 3 gallon sterlite storage tote. I had a well seeded sponge filter so was able to instantly cycle this little container. I do keep a close eye on the perimeters and so far the cycle is holding steady.

I will be moving them to a bigger home in a couple of weeks. I wanted them bigger before I moved them to my 15 gallon grow out tank. Right now I have a couple of mollies in it so don't want to take a chance if the fry being harassed or even eaten by the mollies.
I had 75 pleco fry in a 4 gallon for a few weeks when I wasn't expecting babies and didn't have a spare tank and I'd do two 50% water changes a day and it was fine. So no I'm not too horrified :p

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom