feeding platy fry 20 Gallon Tank

1. claudefishie Member Member

My platy had babies while I was in class and now they are hiding in the fake plants. I'm worried they might get eaten, but I don't know if there is any way for me to move them without hurting them. They have been there for three days, and I'm worried about them eating. They are swimming but won't come out of the plants, how do I feed them?

2. Chris123 Well Known Member Member

For eating you can take the fish food grind it until it turn to powder or you can use newly hatched baby brine shrimp

As far them being eaten you could remove the parents to a diffrent tank

3. bubblefish Member Member

A couple of weeks ago, I woke up to find quite a few platy fry hovering around the gravel and in the plants. I scooped some up with a plastic cup and had to use a small net for others and put them all into a breeding net that hangs on the side to the tank. When I had to use the net, I would try to gently hold the net open so they can swim out and into the breeding net instead of trying to turn the net inside out to force them out. This way I can make sure they are eating and also won't be eaten. If they are hiding in your tank with other big fish, they may come out of their hiding spot to try to get some of the food and get eaten themselves.

All in all, it took me a little over two hours and I ended up with over 50 fry in the breeding net. Over the following 4 days, I would find one or two more and put them into the breeding net as well. Last night while doing some tank maintenance, I spotted another fry. I scooped him up and noticed that he is a qiote a bit smaller than the ones that went into the breeding net a couple weeks earlier. Probably because it wasn't getting fed as well.

4. VenomGrass Member Member

Mine let her fry go 4 days after entering my tank! She must have felt very safe. I only recovered 2 though. Partially because I was sleeping when she gave birth and I did not have a breeder net ready for use. So I simply attached my scoop net to the side of the tank so it was above the water level but still submerged half way - and placed the fry inside:

[​IMG]

Feeding:
    I crush regular food to a powder using a metal cylinder and drop a pinch into the net frequently! Going well too :)

5. kwesdog Member Member

My experience with platy fry in feeding crushed flake, first bites, and newly hatched brine shrimp varied greatly. First bites and crushed flake are very easy but the fish grow slowly when compared to fish feed live newly hatched brine shrimp. The problem with hatching brine shrimp is that its a pain but your fish will grow to normal flake food size very quickly so a couple of weeks if that is all you need to hatch them for. I also fed them vinegar eels which are not full of the nutrients the fish need but are a good filler for small fish if you can keep up with brine shrimp.

Harry

6. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

I found this awesome food that they probably don't make anymore, but it's called "Tetra Min Baby Fish Food 'L' for Livebearers." It's a powdered food that isn't quite as ingredient-heavy as normal fish food flakes and my little ones just gobble it up. I was unlucky in that TWO of my females (my sunset coral dwarf and my marigold variatus) started dropping fry at the same time in my 46gal that I'm about to tear down to make way for a 40gL. I caught two of the sunset corals and one of the variati (there were only two of each that I've seen) and thought I'd do the safe thing and put them in my 10gal nursery tank with my female guppies, guppy juveniles and female bettas. Yeah, not a smart idea. Luckily, only one of the sunset corals got eaten and the other escaped, along with the variatus fry. So, I recaptured them from the 10gal and they are now in their own little 1gal tank with java moss to hide in. So, now I have a sunset coral dwarf fry named Stanley and a marigold variatus fry named Ninja. If you can't find the Tetra Min baby fish food, fine ground flakes work just as well.