Feeding platy fry new born

Fishjunkiejimmy

I haven’t seen my new platy fry eat will they eat the food as it breaks down I thought they would go for it cause the only reason I knew I I’d fry is cause one came out at feeding time
Oh and I put wadded pellets in there I grind some up but worry they can’t get them from in the rocks if I put a whole one in there will they b able to snack on it once it softened up ?
Also I heard lower water levels will help them get to the food is that true it’s only a 3 gallon with two fry in it

CoryMaster151

Hello,
I have recently had new fry from my Platy fish and I found that they didn’t eat until like1-2 weeks but will take nutrients from the water that the food provides. not sure if this is 100% right but just from my experience. Mine are now 4-5 weeks old and try eating flake food 3x bigger than themselves and are living happily
hope this helps

Flyfisha

Hi all,
I watched this video tonight along with many others from “ The Dave” . While this video is about a another species of live bearers guppies the basic principle applies . They can eat within a very short amount of time.

An established old tank will have the microscopic infusorea (Bugs) (swimming creatures ) in it seen in this video. To say they eat nutrients from the water is kind of true CoryMaster151 but it’s not the whole story .
A great video filmed with a great camera I believe it’s well worth watching?

Just adding a tiny amount of adult food crushed to dust is a starting place Fishjunkiejimmy .

Fishjunkiejimmy

Yea that’s what I have been doing crushing up flakes and algae wafer inaube seen them now picking Around so I feel more comfortable that they are eating it I think they just needed to get used to the new tank and realize there is no danger in it I also gonna do the egg yolk tonight I think that will b a good source of protein to help them get bigger

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Adam510
  • Platy
Replies
Views
Adam510
  • Question
  • SamEvans
  • Platy
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics