Feeding Piranha

J15

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi, yesterday my partner and I purchased our first pair of Red Bellies (after much research). We didn't get them from an aquatic store as the ones we saw were eating each other so we got them from a private seller.
The lady we brought them from said they were about a year old and she fed them on prawns (all good so far?!) One is roughly 6 inches the other around 4 inches. She also informed me that they don't get fed every day and I forgot to ask how many prawns she fed them. We haven't fed them yet as we wanted them to settle in their new tank. My partner wants to feed them later after work though.

Now prior to getting these Piranhas I read that they need feeding 2/3 times a day - is this correct? Also my partner suggested we vary their diet - how would we do this without them becoming sick? We know about the water changes and stuff, we're just not sure on the feeding.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

OP
J

J15

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The tank is 190 litres. The link on my post is a picture of the tank
Thank you Alison

Stickyickyooo

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I fed mine earthworms, insects, fruit like apples, pellets, algae waffers, shrimp and guppies I bred. They grew to a nice size. Had 4 of em, but sometimes I would feed them other bad stuff... don't recommend it such as other store bought fish ended up getting them caught up with ICH. Fought it off but never again. Mine seemed to want to eat everything, I just watched their appetite. If they weren't hungry they wouldn't touch food, but if they were famished things didn't last long. Fed em every other day and that seemed to keep em good without polluting the tank to much. Miss em I sold mine for a more peaceful setup. Always was cautious about sticking my hands down in there.

They also are pretty hardy never had issues with them, although they did the Alpha Omega deal and a couple ended up hurt, but healed quickly without any additional help. Don't freak out if they bash their teeth out. They grow pretty quickly and will still manage to eat without em. The teeth just add to the awesome factor in my opinion.

OP
J

J15

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thank you! We didn't want to feed them just prawns as we thought that wasn't stable enough maybe? Boring too! Haha I've pulled the short straw for the tank maintenance unfortunately, fingers crossed they don't find my fingers interesting. They hide when we walk past the tank so hopefully they'll be the same when I put my hands in

shak

Reaction score
There are cool videos on youtube with them destroying slices of bologna in seconds.

Stickyickyooo

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
That's a good thing they are skittish mine where to. Had to watch them from a bit of distance away, eventually they warmed up and stayed out a little more when I started dimming the lighting on the tank. When I cleaned my tank they usually stayed on one side away from me and swapped sides with me when I came towards them. Just had to show them respect and nothing ever happened to me, but I have been told bad stories. I also made sure they where well feed a day beforehand.

OP
J

J15

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes that's how I plan to clean them out - on a full stomach! I'm just watching them & the larger one has been out for ages now which is cool, my little girl loves watching them too ( she's only 2 so may get slightly disturbed if she watched them feed!!)
Thanks for all your info!

New Threads