feeding oscars ghost shrimp

smokeypea

Reaction score
Hi, can anyone tell me if its ok to occasionally feed my oscar a few ghost shrimp, i would never give him feeder fish, but not sure about the ghost shrimp, thanks.

Dino

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Depending on the size of the oscar, ghost shrimp would be an awful small food item.
Shrimp for human consumption would probably be a better option.

Dino

smokeypea

Reaction score
thanks for reply, Ozzie is about 8 inches long, i was thinking they may be ok for a treat, he does have a very varied diet, and he does have cooked shrimp sometimes, its hard to get him to take vegs though, he just spits them out. Other than that he eats real good.

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
They are small, but if you can get a good amount of them cheap, your oscars will take great delight in "hunting" and eating them. Oscars are a little like a jack russell terrier. They get bored sometimes and any type of live food is a wonderful treat for them. I've put them in my tank with my oscars that are about the same size as yours, and they loved it!

smokeypea

Reaction score
You are right about oscars being bored lol, going to get him some ghost shrimp tomorrow, wish he would eat some vegs, but he just either ignores them or spits them out and looks at me like i have gone mad .

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
You may want to check around the net on homemade food recipes. If you add enough stinky stuff like shrimp, scallops, etc. to the mix, you might be able to get him to eat it with veggies added to it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom