Feeding My Pleco

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I've had issues with my Pleco not receiving the algae wafers I provide for him. It's rare that any pellet or sinking foods make it to the bottom due to my larger fish grabbing it first.

My Pleco gets a slice of raw zucchini every morning. So I decided to push an algae wafer into the zucchini. Tada!!!!!!!!!! lol He actually got to feed from the wafer for about 10 minutes before it became dislodged and was then nabbed by my largest female Bloody Parrot. (She's a big girl and can match any male in the tank). The Pleco didn't mind and continued eating the zucchini.

I think the female that nabbed the wafer was one I sent to visit her cousins at Aunt Shawnie's house. When she returned home, she had a very "nawty" attitude. hmmmmmm I wonder why? Could it be that Shawnie has "nawty" fish? I think so....
(just teasing).

Have a good day everyone!

Ken

Shawnie!

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That's too cute Ken!

emanluke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
That is great! I love reading all the witty banter that goes back and forth between y'all. It makes me happy to be a part of a forum where people get along well enough to be able to make such funny comments.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
lol Thanks!

Yes, it's great to be able to tease with other members.

Ken

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
aquarist48 said:
lol Thanks!

Yes, it's great to be able to tease with other members.

Ken
mine learn from yours

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Gasp!

Ken

lorabell

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
LOL>>>>>I still don't understand why u guys have such nauty parrot babies......ALL of mine are just perfect and sooooooooooooooo well behaved!!!!!!!!

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That sounds like it worked perfectly Ken. I bet you could do other treats the same way. Since they need some protein but not much maybe a couple of shrimp pellets about once a week. Ohhh the possibilities are endless
carol

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Lorabell you and I must have Bloody Parrots that are related

Thanks Carol, I'm going to do the shrimp pellets the same way and see what happens.

Ken

EDIT:

Carol adding the sinking shrimp pellets into the zucchini worked really well and the Pleco loved it!

konstargirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
that's cute Aquarist. =D

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks KonstarGirl!

Ken

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I tried this yesterday Ken and it was my Plec's first taste of cucumber and boy did he go to town on it lol! I mean the algae wafer was fun for about a minute but once he got a nibble of that sweet cucumber he went nuts on it hehe.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah!!!!!! Glad to hear it Blkdeath!

Eventually he'll learn where the cucumber/zucchini is and be in the same spot waiting for it at feeding time. Mine is spoiled now! lol

Ken

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
aquarist48 said:
Yeah!!!!!! Glad to hear it Blkdeath!

Eventually he'll learn where the cucumber/zucchini is and be in the same spot waiting for it at feeding time. Mine is spoiled now! lol

Ken
LOL that's so true!
I stick a spoon handle in my plecos zuchinni(to hold it down) and sometimes I forget to take the spoon out right away and I'll find him sitting on the spoon handle like he's asking for a refill
Carol

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
LOL Cute Carol!

Ken

konstargirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Aww!! That's cute Carol. ^^

@Aquarist: Aww!! Gary doesn't do this when I try to feed him veggies.

proudtobeafarmgirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Will the wafer survive its journey to the bottom of the tank before your "piggies" get it if you feed him before you go to bed when house and tank are dark? That is how I used to have to feed my pleco who was housed with my goldfish, poor guy never got to eat at the goldies would hog is all and he never got a sniff. My guppies do the same thing with my catfish's meal so I wait until about 5 mins after I shut all the lights off and they are sleeping at the top of the tank, then I drop a wafer right into the stream from the filter and down it goes.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Proudtobeafarmgirl

So far it's working great! I feed the other fish the same time I drop in the zucchini with the stuffed wafer. I feed all of my fish in the morning. If I singled the Pleco out at night for feeding I don't think it would go so well.

Ken

proudtobeafarmgirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am glad everyone is getting their share of breakfast Ken, my poor catfish seems to get ripped off on the grocheries, I don't want to overfeed but the shrimp and guppies are pigs. I do want to try zuccini and cucumber, as Mom's garden will be overstocked very soon.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads