feeding my new bn plecos

Status
Not open for further replies.

caesar

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sorry to hijack and bump, but I just bought a pair of bristlenose catfish. Should I feed them zucchini etc aswell? How often is good?

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi caesar ive moved your question to its own thread so you may get proper advice...and it doesnt hijack the gold nugget plec thread

bn's love zucchini and you can feed it once a week ...others may do more and im sure you will have some more advice

Bent72

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
my BN's get fed algea waffers and green beans wich they go nuts for lol they dont even wait for it to get dark before they start eating them

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Whats the benefit of Garlic, and how should it be prepared? Thanks guys, this sites a great help.
It helps build up the immune system (and keep away parasites). There are fishkeepers who give it to their fish once a week.

You can use it to soak some foods in, such as freezedried bloodworms or frozen food or even their veggies, and/or you can put a couple of drops of garlic juice directly to the tank water.

I use minced garlic (in the jars with the spices at the grocery store), but you can use fresh. My jar doesn't have juice, just the little chunks. I just take some of the chunks, put them into a (unused) cup from a Nyquil bottle, put in a bit of tankwater, and some freeze dried bloodworms. I let the whole mess soak for a few minutes, and dump in the liquid and the worms. They love the treat, and it's super healthy for them. I have tried to let them eat the garlic pieces, but they ignore those.

If you regularly feed freeze-dried foods(worms, daphnia, etc.), by the way, you always want to presoak in garlic juice or tankwater. The foods expand when they are hydrated, and you don't want that expansion happening inside the fish's stomach - it can cause bloating and constipation.

You can also use a product called Garlic Guard, but this way is cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 59 64.8%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 12 13.2%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 18 19.8%

Top Bottom