Feeding my freshwater crayfish

1. Holmes529 Initiate Member

Hello all,
    I'm not a freshwater beginner but there's not really a tab to post a question like this. For the first couple years I was in the aquarium hobby, I had two crayfish (pictured in my profile picture). After a while my fish began to eat the pellets I was feeding my crayfish with. I tried several different things like feeding my fish while feeding my crayfish so that they would be distracted. They still ate the pellets. I also would feed my crayfish pellets right before I turned my aquarium lights off so the fish wouldn't see them. That still didn't work. I also had a plastic tube that I would put into the water and put it directly in front of the crayfish to feed them. The other fish would mob them and still get the pellets. They ended up starving to death. A large part of the reason I got into the hobby was so I could have crayfish. How can I feed them without my other fish mobbing them or starving to death? I've heard they'll eat bits and pieces of chicken and shrimp and things. Should I try that? Help me please! My tank doesn't feel complete without them!

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

What size are the crayfish?

I'd give them their own tank. Not only will the fish steal their food, but crayfish can attack and kill fish.

3. Holmes529 Initiate Member

Mine got to be about 5 inches long. Occasionally they'd snatch a fish but that's just normal for them. I just wanted to know how to feed them better without them starving to death

4. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Give them their own tank. It's safe for them and the fish, and you won't have to worry about them starving or killing your fish.

5. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

I second that:)