Feeding My Cichlids

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Tank Photos' started by DDANIELLVN, Aug 6, 2017.

1. DDANIELLVN

DDANIELLVNNew MemberMember

I have a 55 gallon cichlid tank that has 2 Texas cichlids, 3 peacock, 1 Tiger Oscar, 1 Pleco, 1 Convict and 2 Clown knife fish. I know it's a lot but temporary and most of them are 4.5 inches or smaller. I was wondering how these types of fish should be fed. The mom in me want to feed them every time they give me that look as I walk up to the tank lol. None of them have ever liked cichlid pellets no matter the pellet size/brand. They do love the flakes and like the cichlid sticks. They all love the frozen bloodworms and frozen brine shrimp. Any constructive advice is appreciated

5493fe4566d2abf99c04d6327fccdcd4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2017
  2. Faris101

Faris101Valued MemberMember

If your pleco isn't the common one your tank is well stocked I guess it's not a lot

3. Littlebudda

LittlebuddaWell Known MemberMember

Sorry I wouldn't call that well stocked I'd call that dangerously stocked it will not take long for that tank to end up a blood bath.

I know you say they are small and you want constructive criticism but to say well stocked is completely misleading

4. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06Well Known MemberMember

Agreed with Littlebudda.

You'll need a 180g at the VERY minimum just for your clown knife fish , they can get over 24". I didn't even include the others.

but concerning your question 2 small portions a day or 1 slightly larger portion a day is fine for them.

5. Faris101

Faris101Valued MemberMember

Oh sorry I didn't know knife fish could get that big so if he didn't have them
    Would it still remain overstocked?

6. OP
    OP
    DDANIELLVN

Yes, I know they can get even larger than that and I do plan on getting a very large tank soon. I'm more focussed on feeding at this time. Thanks.

7. Littlebudda

Yeah even without the knife fish and pleco there are some serious stocking issues first Texas are super aggressive and need a 55gal for a single fish, oscars need a 55 for a single fish,
    Convicts although the tank size is ok inch for inch they are up there with there toughest/aggressive cichlids around.
    Next problem is:

Texas and convicts- Central American
    Oscars - South America
    And here's the big problem
    Peacocks are African cichlids and require vastly different water conditions.

So all in all you really couldn't have picked worse fish for a single small tank

8. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

The Op is aware of the stocking issue & has said it's a temporary arrangement, let's focus on their main question which is How to feed them

9. Littlebudda

My response was to Faris101 which is why I quoted them he asked if there would still be a problem with the stocking without the knifefish. I understand that the op wasn't asking that but as another person was giving incorrect advice and asked about there own advice I tried to help correct them. Where all here to help each other and try to learn.

10. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlackFishlore VIPMember

To me, that is a small tank for one Oscar alone. So yes, you will have a problem soon - actually, a series of problems.
    Feeding becomes part of it as it adds to pollution, and in a seriously overstocked tank, you have to strike a balance.
    Consider the 6 times rule. For a Cichlid to live well in a tank, the front glass should be at the very least 6 times the total adult length of the fish, for a hardy species.
    2 Texas cichlids : foot long omnivores that eat anything. Can be kept with one or two other individual large cichlids in a 120 gallon plus.
    3 peacock: omnivores, won't hold their own long with Texas or Oscars.
    1 Tiger Oscar: a huge predator - meat based diet - very hard on the filtration. Needs a 50 gallon per fish.
    1 Pleco: a waste machine that on its own will outgrow your tank.
    1 Convict: that's a small fish that would work in a 55.
    2 Clown knife fish are tolerant of water pollution, like to eat live fish only and reach over 3 feet in length. Most captive ones slowly starve to death as they don't like prepared food, and want their meals to be swimming.

I think that is kind of constructive, although it isn't encouraging. It's realistic. I am responding to the comment on stocking higher up, since people other than the original poster read these things. I'm sorry to comment so directly for your stocking, but I don't think it is good to leave the idea the only problem in that stocking is the pleco!

11. DeerPark

DeerParkNew MemberMember

Hey Op, I myself have a tiger oscar and sailfin pleco along with other community fish.
    To get straight to your food inquiry:
    After a couple years of trail and error, I feed my fish the following:

FLOATING
    Large 'Cichlid & Arowana' sticks: The oscar absolutely loves these. They float at the top and it is always his go to meal. When he spits fragments out, the silver dollars, angel fish and blue acara clean up

BOTTOM OF TANK
    Garlic Slow Sinking Granulates: The bottom feeding fish go crazy over these garlic based speckles: The sailfin pleco, clown loaches, and sucker fish adore them!

MIDDLE
    Fish Flakes: The fish that like to eat at all heights and areas of the tank are satisfied with flakes. Smaller cichlids, rainbow sharks, angel fish etc will always love a flake or two.

These three foods are fed to the fish once during the day. They leave nothing behind and are visibly joyful after mealtime.
    For dinner I feed them bloodworms ontop of what I just mentioned.

In my 5 years of keeping fish, my buddies are the happiest on this meal plann for sure.

Attached Files:

12. OP
    OP
    DDANIELLVN

Thank you The stock are known to be aggressive but just to put it out there everyone in the tank seem to be doing well. I monitor them and my tank is where I spend most of my time so I'm able to monitor closely. My concern is getting a feeding routine etc that is best for them. My plans are to have 2 very large tanks so I'm not worried. Thank you for focussing on the main question.

Thank you. I have been thinking about adoption for the pleco and get a smaller or different fish that would help clean. Any suggestions?

Thank you so much. That is very helpful. I have serious plans for future tanks so I'm focussing on keeping them happy til they get their new living arrangements.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice