Feeding My Betta?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Fishy_Fishy, Aug 2, 2017.

1. F

Fishy_Fishy New Member Member

Hey guys!! I'm a brand new fish owner; I just got my little guy a few months ago. I had a few questions regarding feeding cycles.

I know they can last a few days without food, but how often should I feed them and how much? I use those small betta pellets, and I've been giving him 2-3 twice a day. Is that okay? I don't want to kill him by overfeeding.

Secondly, I'm going on vacation for a week. I don't particularly want to invest in one of those automatic fish feeders (I prefer feeding him myself!), so what should I use to feed him while I'm away? I've heard about those fish feeding blocks, but I'm worried that he won't eat the pellets. Either he won't find them, or he'll be too good for them. What should I do?

Thank you for any help, y'all. :)

2. fishgame6

fishgame6 Valued Member Member

you should be feeding him 3 pellets or so a day.
    and i would say just feed him good before you leave and you will be good :)

3. OP
    OP
    F

Thank you so much! :)

4. c

chrish828 Valued Member Member

Your betta will be fine for a week. Just be sure to feed your betta and do a water change before you leave.I

5. fishgame6

no problem they can go 2 weeks+ without food :).

6. OP
    OP
    F

Thank you. :)

Another question! Could I maybe give him some shrimp to eat while I'm away? Cherry, or ghost shrimp?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2017
  7. 13fishy wishes

13fishy wishes Valued Member Member

I am new to most fish but not betta's ! My sister and I feed our 3-4 pellets every other day

8. fishgame6

im sorry i was busy i would say no just leave him be he will be ok before you leave dont over feed him either cause it could bloat him which could lead to worse problems.

what size is the tank and is it cycled ? heated? filtered?

9. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

Unless you can find newly born shrimp, don't. The betta won't be able to eat the shrimp, and if its a ghost shrimp, it might try to eat the betta's tail (happens to guppys, so why won't it happen to bettas).

10. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

Hi and welcome!

Your feeding regiment sounds great.

Re: feeding pyramids: those are an awful waste of money that cause more problems than they are worth, and very often don't dissolve at all. Your fish will be ok for a week but I personally wouldn't risk it for that long. If you are able to get someone to come and feed him 1 time in those 7 days, he will be far better off.

Don't leave the shrimp in the tank, that's about s bad as the pyramid feeder and will likely injure your betta.

All of this assuming that your tank is heated, filtered, and cycled - though even if it isn't, you won't have much problems if you do a 60+% WC before you leave.

11. N

New Fish in Town Well Known Member Member

Same here. I've had fish for almost 3 years. I feed them once every other day. My betta is doing just fine with this feeding schedule.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice