Feeding Multiple Fishes

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Slark, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Slark

Slark Valued Member Member

Hi,
    I am buying 1 male betta fish and 8 neon tetras in 10 gallon tank. I want to know that how I will feed them together? I have bought Hikari Betta food and frozen bloodworms. Which food to feed them and how often and main thing How will I feed them together if there is different types of food for each??.

2. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

NEVER put bettas and neons in the same tank. Ever.

3. Al913

Al913 Fishlore VIP Member

As mentioned above, if you keep a betta in a community tank you should have at least a 20 gallon. Neons need a 20 gallon minimum. Bettas and neons aren't temp compatible, bettas should be upper 70s(ideally 78-80) and neons should be under 74F.

4. CaptByMoonlight

CaptByMoonlight New Member Member

Ehh yes and no,
    Depending on the betta you could get a new age Gandhi or a vengeful Mike Tyson. It's really up to you in if you think your betta will act docile tweeds the other fish. On that note however tetras have been known to nip at fins of linger slower fish... idk I've had tetras with my betta for a period of time and no shinnanigans happened. However even peaceful bettas can get fed up and turn on their tank mates...

Best of luck

5. OP
    OP
    Slark

Then which fish i should buy with betta?

6. Al913

None, as mentioned in my post you need a 20 gallon minimum to have other fish

7. OP
    OP
    Slark

What will happen if I do it?Can you explain briefly?
    My tank is also done with cycle

8. Al913

Well some people have been able to keep endlers and guppies however when it comes to bettas there are 3 types: aggressive, moderate, and shy. Most common is the aggressive and shy. Many people though don't realize their betta is shy. When I mean shy it means they get stressed when their are other fish around especially fast moving fish. Bettas are normally solitary and in a 10 gallon its hard to hide or get away from other fish due to its small size. For aggressive betta this can out right be chasing and killing the other fish or it might be nipping. It will also depend on the tank mates. I would say endlers if you really want other fish is a better choice since they are more peaceful and less colorful. Male guppies can be nipped or do the nipping.

9. Culprit

Culprit Fishlore VIP Member

you could also do snails.

10. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

You see, bettas are an aggressive fish with teeth. I and others have kept bettas with other fish. But you are taking a real chance with a seemingly peaceful fish turning on tank mates after a few months. Male bettas are best kept solitary or in a tank with large fish that it will not mess with and that will not mess with it. I have had good luck with bettas and full grown angels but you need a 37 gallon (for one angel) at least.

11. Little Tank of Happiness

Little Tank of Happiness Well Known Member Member

Shrimp are also an option.

I'd do one of these. The numbers are different because some shrimp are bigger than others. Bettas can sometimes attack shrimp so it's a hit or miss. If it is heavily planted it could work. Personally I'd do ghost shrimp just because they are clear and bettas wouldn't see them as easily. Plus they get bigger than cherries and are less risk of being a snack. Doesn't mean it can't happen, though

1x male betta
    5x ghost shrimp

1x male betta
    8x cherry shrimp

1x male betta
    3x amano shrimp

Also some snail ideas. I'd only do nerites as mysteries lay eggs and you will very soon get over-populated. It's basically impossible to tell if you snail is male or female until they have layed eggs.

1x male betta
    2x small horned nerite snails

1x male betta
    1x regular sized nerite snail (some color variations include tiger blood, olive, and zebra. I like zebras best just because of their shell design.)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice