Feeding Mosquito Larvae!

wolfdog01

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
This is my first time ever feeding live food to a fish. I have a bucket outside that I put plant trimmings in and hoped I would get some babies. Well I did! I was so excited, took four times before I got the video lol might do this every Sunday!

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
yukondog said:
I put them in the fridge and feed for a couple of days, freeze the extra.
great idea, obvi they dont mature if in fridge? lol this is a wonderful idea

yukondog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
They become dormant in the fridge but as soon as you add warm water they come back to life, once frozen they die but are still good to feed.

wolfdog01

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I've heard of a lot of people who just get them from a bucket outside and feed it to them. Parasites are my biggest fear with this but if it works for so many people then I might as well try it

Drained the bucket using a siphon and a net. Kept most of the wigglers and I made a cleaner and better farming container. While I was scavenging the yard of tarps with water I found some bloodworms! So I captured them too. Added some dirt and gravel in the container for them. Hopefully it'll all settle by tonight. Kinda wanna get a lid for the container and bring it inside.
Fed another larvae to MK once I was done. Maybe this should be a once a day thing? Not too sure how often I can feed these things to bettas
IMAG5369.jpg

yukondog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I pore them into a shallow container and put them in the fridge overnight, it stops all movement and makes them a lot easier to collect and stop them from morphing into mosquitos.

wolfdog01

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I would put them in the fridge but I really like watching them develop. I have a lid on the one outside so no more rain water gets in and if any mosquitoes did develop they would be trapped.
I caught a lot of pupa just now, fed MK about four. Gonna keep this container in the house so I can watch them. Got a lid on them too.
1527705481941.jpg

wolfdog01

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Sooo....my old batch boiled in the sun with the lid on outside lol. Got a new batch and put them inside. Been collecting puddles of water around my yard to get more and making it so that way the females have less places to lay. I got ate up a bit though.
I've decided to keep them contained in this tiny box. Something freaky caught my eye though...what are the huge red ones? Are those like giant mosquitoes?

Attachments

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have no idea, but they disgust me
The bettas should gobble them up without a problem.

wolfdog01

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
So I was wondering why my larvae kept dying in the container. Turns out those big guys are eating them, they are a cannibalistic type of mosquito called toxorhynchites. I took them out and cut the heads off of them before putting them down the sink.
Some of the smaller ones also have a redish hue so I'm wondering if they are the same thing. They are about the same size as the other larvae though so I'll keep them in there and observe.

wolfdog01

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
This is a good batch right here. Got the pupa in a smaller container and the larvae in the bigger one. Turns out mosquitoes like freeze dried brine shrimp.
Caught one of the big red ones again but I tossed him back into the tarp of water so he could eat what ever ones I don't get.
Just started to down pour so I could only collect so many. Been raining here like every other day.
1529091309183.jpg

wolfdog01

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Found this out today. The worms have built little freeze dried brine shrimp tunnels. I destroyed all of them except for the biggest one, just in case they eat mosquito larvae, so now I can monitor it better.
1529302589808.jpg

wolfdog01

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Just saw a mosquito hatch. Wasn't in pupa form or anything, still one of the little wigglers. Wish I had gotten it on film, it was pretty cool.

wolfdog01

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Well, I now have Hydra in my tank. Pretty sure it hitched onto the larvae and got in the water. So, because I just don't like the thought of Hydra in my tank, the live food is probably gonna come to a halt until I decide what to do. Either use dewormer or let the betta eat them.
IMAG5627.jpg

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Oh yikes. Yeah, I've had to deal with that in my shrimp tank. Add a teeny tiny little pinch of fenbendazole and they'll all die. I added like six little tiny grains, and it took 48 hours to see change, but 72 hours later they were dead. This will kill snails though. Spixi snails will eat them also.
Course, your fish isn't in any sort of immediate danger, so you could just see what happens. Good luck!

yukondog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Those tubes you see are bloodworms, if there the same thing I have up here in P-cola, they are the larva stage of the Midge fly, they are smaller than mosquitos and don't bite, when you go to collect them I adjetate [sp] the water [stir vigorously] most will want to come out of the tube and than I use a eyedropper to collect them, they are harmless and your fish will love them. If you collect any try not to have any plant debris in the container as they will use it to make another tube. I collected about 500 larva over the past couple of days and freeze them in the small 1" square tray for later. Good luck.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom