Feeding molly fry while on vacation

ivanjay205
Been waiting for a very pregnant molly to gove birth for over a week. She finally dropped and I was able to move 12 fry from the plants in the tank into a breeding box so they are safe.
However, we are away on vacation as of next week for 5 days. For grownups I put a feeder in no issue. How do I keep the babies fed for a week while I am gone? I do not have anyone that can come in and do it.

jkkgron2
Been waiting for a very pregnant molly to gove birth for over a week. She finally dropped and I was able to move 12 fry from the plants in the tank into a breeding box so they are safe.
However, we are away on vacation as of next week for 5 days. For grownups I put a feeder in no issue. How do I keep the babies fed for a week while I am gone? I do not have anyone that can come in and do it.
Stick as many plants in there as you can! Preferably some type of moss (like Java moss or Marimo moss ball) to help provide more food.

Magnus919
Yes to lots of plants.

If you're leaving in a week, it's a little late to act on this... but loading the heavily planted tank up with a variety of live foods is something else that will help. The idea is having food in there that can be tank-stable for days, and give the babies things to discover within the plants.

ivanjay205
When my livebearers have the babies I catch the babies in a medicine cup (clean never used of course) and move them into a breeding box in the tank. I cannot grow plants in the breeding box.... I guess I could try to buy something floating in the next week but will 1 week old fry be able to nibble on a plant?

jkkgron2
When my livebearers have the babies I catch the babies in a medicine cup (clean never used of course) and move them into a breeding box in the tank. I cannot grow plants in the breeding box.... I guess I could try to buy something floating in the next week but will 1 week old fry be able to nibble on a plant?
That’s why I suggested Java moss and Marimo moss balls. Both don’t need to be planted and Should do fine. For floaters frogbit would work well.

ivanjay205
ah got it, so floating in the breeding tank not tied to a stone or anything. Once I am back would you leave the java moss floating in the top of the tank or do I need to somehow attach it to something?

jkkgron2
ah got it, so floating in the breeding tank not tied to a stone or anything. Once I am back would you leave the java moss floating in the top of the tank or do I need to somehow attach it to something?
Attaching it would be better because it can get messy but it’s your choice. It doesn’t really float though, it just can be moved by the flow. If you just set it down in a low flow area it should be fine.

ivanjay205
I might try this but any other suggestions other than plants or is that really the only way to go? And the general consensus is they will make it 5 days iwth just the plant in there?

jake37
What people aren't saying is molly fry are very comfortable eating both adult food and algae. In a tank with lots of plants they can find ample food - in a sterile environment they are dependent on you feeding them. I never bother moving my live bearers fry to a sep container. Yes some probably get eaten but too many make it to adulthood and i never bother feeding them anything special.

jkkgron2
I might try this but any other suggestions other than plants or is that really the only way to go? And the general consensus is they will make it 5 days iwth just the plant in there?
I agree with jake37 , if you’re willing to lose a few Molly’s you could just release them back in the tank. Otherwise because your gone I think that you would need to provide them with some source of food, with plants being the best choice, IMO.

wishuponafish
The fry don't actually eat java/marimo moss, it's too tough. They pick at scraps of food, microorganisms, and algae that get caught in it, and you won't get much of that in a breeder box at the top of the tank unless scraps can get in. If you want plants as food, I recommend a softer plant like anacharis or water sprite that they can eat the die-off from.

I would suggest putting wads of algae in there, or keeping them with the adults with the auto-feeder as jake37 said.
If you don't have a lot of algae right now, you can cultivate some by the time you leave by putting some in a jar/tray and leaving it by a window.

ivanjay205
Thanks for all of the responses. I dont really want to put them back with the adults as this is my sons tank (he is 8) and will be really upset seeing a bunch get eaten by the grownups. We used to have guppies and they died constantly and I learned they are very weak fish so we switched. It used to make him upset.

I guess I can put in some java fern. I have another plant that always sprouts off new plants so I put one end in there and I can see they def like it for some blocking of the lights and to hang around the roots dangling in there.

What would happen if I put a small vacation feeder in there, like a 3 day one? Do they release small enough food for them? At least I would know they had some source of food for 3 out of the 5 days which is a lot better than 0. Plus by the time I am going they are 1 1/2 weeks old not brand new

jkkgron2
I guess I can put in some java fern. I have another plant that always sprouts off new plants so I put one end in there and I can see they def like it for some blocking of the lights and to hang around the roots dangling in there.
The reason I suggested Java moss and moss balls is because they’re.. mossy? I don’t know how to explain exactly but they have more microorganisms in the moss than a Java fern does. I can’t really help with auto feeders since I never use them.

jake37
Just remember the fry don't eat a lot but eat continuously and can't handle 'bad' water as well as parents so if you dump too much food that will decay and pollute the water you will do more harm than under feeding them.

ivanjay205
Just remember the fry don't eat a lot but eat continuously and can't handle 'bad' water as well as parents so if you dump too much food that will decay and pollute the water you will do more harm than under feeding them.
Yea that I am not terribly worried about on my end for polluting the water. They are in a breeding box in a 20 gallon tank so the water is circulating. I am going to do a good cleaning and significant water change before I leave but I am going to overfeed their breeding box a bit so there is some stuff to nibble on in the bottom. I might put a small 3 day feeder in there too, havent decided yet.

ivanjay205
Got a marimo moss ball as that is all petco had lol. So we will see how it works out!

ivanjay205
Here it is lol

Attachments

• 5736A4CC-C929-4FBA-9F71-408DDB8DED08.jpeg
    5736A4CC-C929-4FBA-9F71-408DDB8DED08.jpeg
    78.3 KB · Views: 51
Top Bottom