Feeding Kuhli Loaches?

jessatiel
I have 7 three-inch kuhlI loaches, and I got them sinking wafers. What is a reasonable amount to feed them? I usually hear that you should feed fish only enough food so they can eat it all in a few minutes, but my loaches are shy, so they don’t come out to eat, right away. About how many wafers would be right?
Thank you!

Brannor
Jenoli42 is better than I am and has a few that 'eat well'.

-G

smee82
Mine only get the 1

BlackOsprey
I'd drop in one wafer at night, and clean up any debris you find the next day. Assuming there's any.

jessatiel
Mine only get the 1

One wafer for all of your kuhlis? How many do you have?

Brannor
Personally I drop in a few (around 6) of these pellets... but the fish and especially the bristlenose tend to steal a number of them... so I try to toss them into the hiding spots where the Kuhlis hide.

-G

smee82
One wafer for all of your kuhlis? How many do you have?

About a dozen kuhlis but they also get fed brine shrimp eggs, bloodworms, daphnia and all the baby shrimp they can hunt down and ive seen them feeding on bigger pond snails a few times

wodesorel
Meat-based will go over better than plant-based. I have about two dozen, slowly worked up to that over 14 years, and do Massivore Pellets for them a few times a week. The rest of the time they forage for leftovers from my ember tetra and seem happy enough. If you have a fine sand bed they will filter feed like gobies so they really do an amazing job of finding every last bit! Mine are not shy but I have no large fish to make them nervous, plus they get boisterous in large numbers. I call it them the kuhlI ball when they go into feeding frenzy mode and 20 some fish are all after this big chunk of food. The more excited they get the more that come out to join in!

Jenoli42
Meat-based will go over better than plant-based. I have about two dozen, slowly worked up to that over 14 years, and do Massivore Pellets for them a few times a week. The rest of the time they forage for leftovers from my ember tetra and seem happy enough. If you have a fine sand bed they will filter feed like gobies so they really do an amazing job of finding every last bit! Mine are not shy but I have no large fish to make them nervous, plus they get boisterous in large numbers. I call it them the kuhlI ball when they go into feeding frenzy mode and 20 some fish are all after this big chunk of food. The more excited they get the more that come out to join in!

what they said ^

Sarah73
I have around 20 kuhlI loaches in my tank and I drop around 30-40 shrimp pellets (that's because I also have cories and bristle nose plecos)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Ravynn
Replies
Views
Noroomforshoe
  • Question
Replies
Views
Redshark1
Replies