Feeding Issues

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I just got my honey gouramis and they’re in the 20 gal with one guppy and the harlequins and the corydoras. But they only seem to feed from the middle of the tank. My guppy and rasboras will eat from the surface and my corydoras eat the sinking pellets, and my gouramis sometimes pick at the pellets but don’t seem to really love them, and they don’t go to the top so they’re only getting the little bits of food that sink (which isn’t much) and even then they don’t always see the sinking food before it hits the sand and then it’s cory food for later.

How the heck do you feed fish that only eat in the middle column without overfeeding the surface feeders? Will they eventually realize food is on the surface and come up?

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When you put the food in let go of it under water instead of sprinkling on top. That way it floats down more.

SilverLake

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You could feed the tank in a couple different places, and delay the second feeding until most of your surface feeders are occupied by the first zone, if you have space. Frozen or slightly waterlogged foods will slowly sink and stay in the water column longer giving mid level feeders more chance to eat them. There are 'baskets' you can use to hold down food for them to get at. And lastly, I believe I've seen food pucks that get stick to the side of the tank and release pieces of food, this would be able to be used to feed your top and mid level feeders, but I haven't used them, so I don't know how well they work.

OP
UnknownUser

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Just want to say thanks to @StarGirl , I sprinkled half on the top and then stuck the other half right under the water and swirled the water around a bit - they sank slowly and the gouramis got a decent meal finally :)

New Threads