Feeding insects to fish.

DaroRs

Active Member
Member
Messages
378
Reaction score
2
Location
Mauritius
Experience
Just started
Well apparently I've got many insects which come in my house during summer such as small moths and others which I don't know their names. I wonder if I could feed those to my fish and if they may carry any diseases on them. I also usually give them ADULT mosquitoes. So is there any risk?
 

cm11599ps

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,153
Reaction score
44
Location
Long Island
Experience
More than 10 years
My sister in law was leaving out house Saturday night and killed a spider that was crawling on the stairs. I had my wife get a napkin so that I could carry the squished spider.

Being the lights in my tank were already off I kept the spider napkin on top of the tank and only dumped it in the next day. My Oscar gobbled it right up.

I can't wait for the summer to come so we can get some flies trapped in between our windows and blinds. They'll eventually die ad then I can throw them in the tank. I also am considering putting some kind of tub or something under my bug zapper. I don't know what happens to the bugs when they get zapped, but if they land underneath I figure it's free food.
 

REDKAHUNA

Active Member
Member
Messages
212
Reaction score
4
Experience
More than 10 years
My fish have there own house in the yard with a set of barn doors. When it is hot I open the doors to help with overheating of the tanks. I get daphnie growing in several tanks because I am near a stream and several larger ponds. I also not much fun do get mosquitos laying but if I am quick enough the fry love them, adults also.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
DaroRs

DaroRs

Active Member
Member
Messages
378
Reaction score
2
Location
Mauritius
Experience
Just started
From what I've read above, you guys give insect to your fish. But isn't there a list of insects which should be avoided? Is giving flies to fish safe? They go everywhere in dustbins and don't they carry toxic waster as Gouramiguy17 told?
Another example are bees. They contain acid in their body and I wonder if this is safe to fish?
 

angelfish220

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,143
Reaction score
14
Location
Central PA
Experience
5 years
I don't specifically feed insects to my fish, but when anything gets in the aquarium, they gobble it up!
 

ldbrown3138

Active Member
Member
Messages
206
Reaction score
2
Location
Paducah, KY
Experience
More than 10 years
Well, fish in the wild eat whatever happens to come their way. Insects are great food and as long as you haven't sprayed them to kill them they should be safe. I feed my fish a wide variety of insects in the summer as well as grubs and earthworms. The fish enjoy the variety and the food is free and abundant.
 

REDKAHUNA

Active Member
Member
Messages
212
Reaction score
4
Experience
More than 10 years
I just remebered this.

When I was a youngster many moons ago Tetra had a series of books livebearers etc. telling you about different species etc.

They actually then showed how to hook screen to your car to harvest insects while driving. I am going to look around I am sure I still have the book.
 

ldbrown3138

Active Member
Member
Messages
206
Reaction score
2
Location
Paducah, KY
Experience
More than 10 years
That's awesome. My wife thinks I'm nuts for growing skeeter larvae. If they get too big to fast, I just dump them out and start over.

I can picture an insect collection device wired to the front of the car and driving out through the country on a warm summer night. She'll think I've totally flipped.
 

REDKAHUNA

Active Member
Member
Messages
212
Reaction score
4
Experience
More than 10 years
REDKAHUNA said:
I just remebered this.

When I was a youngster many moons ago Tetra had a series of books livebearers etc. telling you about different species etc.

They actually then showed how to hook screen to your car to harvest insects while driving. I am going to look around I am sure I still have the book.
Found the book

TETRAPRESS 1987 PETER W. SCOTT AUTHOR

A FISHKEEPERS GUIDE TO LIVEBEARING FISHES

They mention the fine mesh attached to the car for summer night harvesting but don't show the picture.

They also give a great description of building a live foods water butt.

Real simple clean bucket of water drop of horse manure.

Keep it out of reach of frogs and other critters.

Should be able to harvest Gnat larvae, bloodworms and water fleas [daphnia] in my case also mosquito larve. You can add plants for decoration and paint the bucket or start with a pretty one so it looks good in the yard.

I filled my bucket today no horse manure but pig poop might do just fine. LOL

Its your water your property if you use no chemicals then all should be well.
 

Elodea

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,413
Reaction score
52
Location
SF Bay Area, California
Experience
4 years
I have a huge skeeter farm (acutally a gallon jar) with maybe 70 mosquito larvae. Larvva are eaten by the fish. Pupae left alone. Adults also fed to the fish. They love live foods.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #12
OP
DaroRs

DaroRs

Active Member
Member
Messages
378
Reaction score
2
Location
Mauritius
Experience
Just started
So every type of insects can be fed to fish? There are no dangerous ones? I'm just scared about giving a poisonous insect to them.
 

ldbrown3138

Active Member
Member
Messages
206
Reaction score
2
Location
Paducah, KY
Experience
More than 10 years
I've never experienced a problem but I am not an entomologist. I suppose there could be but given that most of the freshwater fish on earth will feed on insects I don't think it is a widespread problem. Flies and mosquitos make awesome food. I probably would not feed bees and wasps.
 

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
12,428
Reaction score
174
Location
Connecticut
Experience
More than 10 years
I end up with mosquito larvae growing in my birdbath outside. Is that safe to give to the fish?
 

ldbrown3138

Active Member
Member
Messages
206
Reaction score
2
Location
Paducah, KY
Experience
More than 10 years
That is excellent fish food. The fish will enjoy the fresh food and the chase.
 

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
12,428
Reaction score
174
Location
Connecticut
Experience
More than 10 years
And I'll enjoy watching the little buggers get eaten!!! arty0024:
 

wonton55912

Active Member
Member
Messages
355
Reaction score
0
Location
FL
Experience
Just started
I was wondering also because my house is INFESTED with gnats
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #18
OP
DaroRs

DaroRs

Active Member
Member
Messages
378
Reaction score
2
Location
Mauritius
Experience
Just started
Oh there're also insects which sting. I wonder if they're safe or not?
 

jprime84

Active Member
Member
Messages
241
Reaction score
7
Location
Raleigh, NC
Experience
1 year
I have a 3.5 or so inch Striped Panchax Killifish. The fish is a river minnow in its native environment, and is actually introduced in some environments as mosquito control.

You can see how they stay right under the surface looking for noms (borrowed pic)


My only concern with feeding insects, is that can fish choke? I know they don't have a windpipe that could be blocked, but could they get a hard food item (like an insect exoskeleton) stuck in their guller in a way that could lead to harm for the fish?
 

ldbrown3138

Active Member
Member
Messages
206
Reaction score
2
Location
Paducah, KY
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't think you should worry, if a fish can get the insect in it's mouth it will go down.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
110
Guests online
1,900
Total visitors
2,010

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom