Feeding insects to fish.

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by DaroRs, Apr 5, 2010.

1. DaroRs

DaroRs Valued Member Member

Well apparently I've got many insects which come in my house during summer such as small moths and others which I don't know their names. I wonder if I could feed those to my fish and if they may carry any diseases on them. I also usually give them ADULT mosquitoes. So is there any risk?

2. Gouramiguy17

Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

I have a worm farm going and my fish love worms. As long as there isn't a toxic waste leak you should be fine.

3. cm11599ps

cm11599ps Well Known Member Member

My sister in law was leaving out house Saturday night and killed a spider that was crawling on the stairs. I had my wife get a napkin so that I could carry the squished spider.

Being the lights in my tank were already off I kept the spider napkin on top of the tank and only dumped it in the next day. My Oscar gobbled it right up.

I can't wait for the summer to come so we can get some flies trapped in between our windows and blinds. They'll eventually die ad then I can throw them in the tank. I also am considering putting some kind of tub or something under my bug zapper. I don't know what happens to the bugs when they get zapped, but if they land underneath I figure it's free food.

4. REDKAHUNA

REDKAHUNA Valued Member Member

My fish have there own house in the yard with a set of barn doors. When it is hot I open the doors to help with overheating of the tanks. I get daphnie growing in several tanks because I am near a stream and several larger ponds. I also not much fun do get mosquitos laying but if I am quick enough the fry love them, adults also.

5. OP
    OP
    DaroRs

From what I've read above, you guys give insect to your fish. But isn't there a list of insects which should be avoided? Is giving flies to fish safe? They go everywhere in dustbins and don't they carry toxic waster as Gouramiguy17 told?
    Another example are bees. They contain acid in their body and I wonder if this is safe to fish?

6. angelfish220

angelfish220 Well Known Member Member

I don't specifically feed insects to my fish, but when anything gets in the aquarium, they gobble it up!

7. ldbrown3138

ldbrown3138 Valued Member Member

Well, fish in the wild eat whatever happens to come their way. Insects are great food and as long as you haven't sprayed them to kill them they should be safe. I feed my fish a wide variety of insects in the summer as well as grubs and earthworms. The fish enjoy the variety and the food is free and abundant.

8. REDKAHUNA

I just remebered this.

When I was a youngster many moons ago Tetra had a series of books livebearers etc. telling you about different species etc.

They actually then showed how to hook screen to your car to harvest insects while driving. I am going to look around I am sure I still have the book.

9. ldbrown3138

That's awesome. My wife thinks I'm nuts for growing skeeter larvae. If they get too big to fast, I just dump them out and start over.

I can picture an insect collection device wired to the front of the car and driving out through the country on a warm summer night. She'll think I've totally flipped.

10. REDKAHUNA

Found the book

TETRAPRESS 1987 PETER W. SCOTT AUTHOR

A FISHKEEPERS GUIDE TO LIVEBEARING FISHES

They mention the fine mesh attached to the car for summer night harvesting but dont show the picture.

They also give a great description of building a live foods water butt.

Real simple clean bucket of water drop of horse manure.

Keep it out of reach of frogs and other critters.

Should be able to harvest Gnat larvae, bloodworms and water fleas [daphnia] in my case also mosquito larve. You can add plants for decoration and paint the bucket or start with a pretty one so it looks good in the yard.

I filled my bucket today no horse manure but pig poop might do just fine. LOL

Its your water your property if you use no chemicals then all should be well.

11. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

I have a huge skeeter farm (acutally a gallon jar) with maybe 70 mosquito larvae. Larvva are eaten by the fish. Pupae left alone. Adults also fed to the fish. They love live foods.

12. OP
    OP
    DaroRs

So every type of insects can be fed to fish? There are no dangerous ones? I'm just scared about giving a poisonous insect to them.

13. ldbrown3138

I've never experienced a problem but I am not an entomologist. I suppose there could be but given that most of the freshwater fish on earth will feed on insects I don't think it is a widespread problem. Flies and mosquitos make awesome food. I probably would not feed bees and wasps.

14. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

I end up with mosquito larvae growing in my birdbath outside. Is that safe to give to the fish?

15. ldbrown3138

That is excellent fish food. The fish will enjoy the fresh food and the chase.

16. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

And I'll enjoy watching the little buggers get eaten!!! :party0024:

17. w

wonton55912 Valued Member Member

i was wondering also because my house is INFESTED with gnats

18. OP
    OP
    DaroRs

Oh there're also insects which sting. I wonder if they're safe or not?

19. j

jprime84 Valued Member Member

I have a 3.5 or so inch Striped Panchax Killifish. The fish is a river minnow in its native environment, and is actually introduced in some environments as mosquito control.

You can see how they stay right under the surface looking for noms (borrowed pic)
    [​IMG]

My only concern with feeding insects, is that can fish choke? I know they dont have a windpipe that could be blocked, but could they get a hard food item (like an insect exoskeleton) stuck in their guller in a way that could lead to harm for the fish?

20. ldbrown3138

I don't think you should worry, if a fish can get the insect in it's mouth it will go down.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice