Feeding Honey Gourami

Newb21

Pretty simple thread I would assume. I'm getting two Honey Gourami tomorrow and I have Hikari Micro Wafers and flakes on standby for what I hope will provide them a balanced diet. Question is frequency of each and if my plan is even a good one in the first place. Open to any and all suggestions!

Thanks

MandutheAxolotl

Pretty simple thread I would assume. I'm getting two Honey Gourami tomorrow and I have Hikari Micro Wafers and flakes on standby for what I hope will provide them a balanced diet. Question is frequency of each and if my plan is even a good one in the first place. Open to any and all suggestions!

Thanks
I try to feed my gouramis flakes every day, and also frozen bloodworms. I also feed algae wafers in the tank, but that's only because I have mollies.

Upvote 0

lojack

The best food is whatever they’ll eat. Since you’re even taking the time to consider more than one food for a balanced diet, they’ll do well.
Mine live in a community tank that gets offered a bunch of different stuff but they only really go for micro pellets, currently their staple diet. Two of mine kind of like frozen blood worms but the third won’t even touch them... but he does eat frozen brine shrimp when the other two won’t lol.
Enjoy your new fish, they’re pretty rad.

Upvote 0

Newb21

The best food is whatever they’ll eat. Since you’re even taking the time to consider more than one food for a balanced diet, they’ll do well.
Mine live in a community tank that gets offered a bunch of different stuff but they only really go for micro pellets, currently their staple diet. Two of mine kind of like frozen blood worms but the third won’t even touch them... but he does eat frozen brine shrimp when the other two won’t lol.
Enjoy your new fish, they’re pretty rad.
Thank you so much for your insight! I plan on integrating a community tank around them too! Right now I think they're still in an adjustment phase and don't eat much of anything at present. Although I see them grazing on algae consistently. When they do seem to eat the food I provide, they spit it out like three times before fully ingesting it. Silly buggers. Now I'm on the fence about whether dithers such as the lambchop rasbora will outcompete them for food or help them relax and encourage them to eat more heartily.

Anyway, that is to say I love these guys but they're making me nervous lol.

Upvote 0

Chris1212

I've got one in qt right now with a few other types of fish and my honey has eaten everything put in: flakes, micro pellets, vibra bites, floating cichlid pellets.

Upvote 0

Newb21

I've got one in qt right now with a few other types of fish and my honey has eaten everything put in: flakes, micro pellets, vibra bites, floating cichlid pellets.
I'm jealous! What type of flake?

Upvote 0

Chris1212

Just the standard Omega One freshwater flakes. It is in qt with two skirt tetras and a small school of little glowlight tetras so it seemed to learn quick that food doesn't last long with those other fish so it needs to eat fast

Upvote 0

Newb21

Just the standard Omega One freshwater flakes. It is in qt with two skirt tetras and a small school of little glowlight tetras so it seemed to learn quick that food doesn't last long with those other fish so it needs to eat fast
That's exactly what I'm feeding them now. I appreciate the window into your world. I'm excited to hear that competition can fuel a more healthy and vigorous eating behavior!

Upvote 0

lojack

I have mine with harlequin Rasboras and the honeys also learned to eat fast lol. They’re still spooked when the Rasboras dart to the surface to eat but they’re more chill than when they were first introduced.

Mine picked on algae at first also and still do all day (wish it was actually enough to make a noticeable difference lol). They’ll also pick at sinking wafer crumbs and appear to be really good predators. I haven’t had any corydoras fry survive to adulthood since the honeys have been there lol.

Upvote 0

Bruinfishkeeper1

My Honey Gourami's also still continue to graze on algae however I feed them Frozen Brine Shrimp (which they absolutely love) and also sometimes a little bit of Hikari Micro Pellets.

Upvote 0

Newb21

I have mine with harlequin Rasboras and the honeys also learned to eat fast lol. They’re still spooked when the Rasboras dart to the surface to eat but they’re more chill than when they were first introduced.

Mine picked on algae at first also and still do all day (wish it was actually enough to make a noticeable difference lol). They’ll also pick at sinking wafer crumbs and appear to be really good predators. I haven’t had any corydoras fry survive to adulthood since the honeys have been there lol.
You have been tremendously helpful in putting my mind at ease, thank you!
My Honey Gourami's also still continue to graze on algae however I feed them Frozen Brine Shrimp (which they absolutely love) and also sometimes a little bit of Hikari Micro Pellets.
I have mixed in Hikari Micro Pellets, as well, but they never seem to know they're there until they accidentally come across them while grazing. hmmmmm

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Demeter
  • Question
10 Gallon Tank What to feed my fish
Replies
Views
Coradee
Replies
Views