Feeding Honey Gourami Fry

missrob

My honey gouramis had fry....so many fry!!! I saw them 2 days ago, face up in the bubble nest. Today I removed the male to another tank. They have the tank for themselves so no predator. It is cycled and full of plants, catapa leaves, etc. Will they have enough to eat for the first days with the infusoria on my plants? Sould I get brine shrimps to hatch ? Anyone can give me information on the feeding stages of those tiny tiny little guys? Also, I have HikarI first bites (for my guppy fry), when are they going to be big enough for that food?
Thanks so much!!!

chromedome52

Well, they will likely find a good amount of food on the plants for the first day or two, but I don't know what percentage will make it to the first week. I always added a drop of Liquifry, which not only provides fine enough particles for them to eat, but encourages the existing infusoria as well. Around a week to ten days after they actually start swimming they should be big enough to eat bbs, live or frozen.

missrob

Day 3, all the fry are now free swimming. There are so many of them! I started an infusoria culture, should be ready in 2 days. Meanwhile, I feed them super crushed HikarI First Bites and cooked egg yolk. They seem to be interested...I keep my fingers crossed they will make it through the next days! I also started hatching bbs...

Well, they will likely find a good amount of food on the plants for the first day or two, but I don't know what percentage will make it to the first week. I always added a drop of Liquifry, which not only provides fine enough particles for them to eat, but encourages the existing infusoria as well. Around a week to ten days after they actually start swimming they should be big enough to eat bbs, live or frozen.
Day 4: So if they still thrive, I keep the faith, right? infusoria should be ready tomorrow...can not wait! Tell me: with other bigger fry, you can see their full belly with the ate...do you know if it's the same with them? they are so tiny but I see a small bubble behind their head, could it be 'full' ? (sorry for the silly questions, I worry too much! )

PascalKrypt

Just posting here to let you know I love the updates, keep them coming I hope to breed honeys myself soon and this is super helpful.

Ackers500

My honey gouramis had fry....so many fry!!! I saw them 2 days ago, face up in the bubble nest. Today I removed the male to another tank. They have the tank for themselves so no predator. It is cycled and full of plants, catapa leaves, etc. Will they have enough to eat for the first days with the infusoria on my plants? Sould I get brine shrimps to hatch ? Anyone can give me information on the feeding stages of those tiny tiny little guys? Also, I have HikarI first bites (for my guppy fry), when are they going to be big enough for that food?
Thanks so much!!!

I have some 2 week old Honey Gourami fry. Surprisingly the parents built a bubble nest and laid eggs within 48 hours of me putting them into my community tank. I set up a small fry tank and “rescued” a ladle full once they were on the verge of free swimming. I now have about 30 that have survived to this stage. I have fed them on liquifry No1 initially and then supplemented this with microworms once I’d got a culture up and running. They clearly enjoy those and I can see their little bellies change colour after eating.

missrob

I wish we had Liquifry available here...but the infusoria in my tank must be sufficient because, Day 5: I think they are growing up and probably eat the egg yolk I give them. I changed the water, rescued 10 of them in the water bucket , and fed them HikarI first bites. Freshly hatched brine shrimps are still too big (but my guppy fry love them!).

PascalKrypt

I'm wondering if putting them in a daphnia colony would be any good? The adults would surely be too large to get eaten but the young should be the same size as BBS that everyone seems to use, no?

missrob

I'm wondering if putting them in a daphnia colony would be any good? The adults would surely be too large to get eaten but the young should be the same size as BBS that everyone seems to use, no?
Interesting....they could be small enough from what I read. I will look into it!

Ackers500

I’m planning on starting a batch of brine shrimp today (assuming Amazon deliver the eggs on time ). I hope this will speed up their growth a bit. I need them to be a bit more resilient soon as I go away on holiday for a week in two weeks time. I really don’t know what I’m going to do with them then if they’re not.

PascalKrypt

Would either of you be able to post some pictures? I would love to see them ^^

missrob

Here is a picture of their tank...and of them (yes...those white dots with a tail :joyful

PascalKrypt

Oh wow, those are very small indeed. They are about a week old now right?

Ackers500

You must be registered to see images
Would either of you be able to post some pictures? I would love to see them ^^
These little fry are so small it’s difficult to get the phone camera to focus on them. 18 days old now

missrob

Oh wow, those are very small indeed. They are about a week old now right?
One week old tomorrow!

missrob

Day 7: sad day....was it the water change? is it the infusoria missing to feed them all? I see many dead ones at the bottom of the tank.....a lot are still alive but it feels like I'm failing. To be continued...

loner556

Don't beat yourself up. It happens. It took me 3 try's to get Danio's from fry to adulthood. I too lost 2 batches after water changes. The two game changers for me was to add the new water into the tank as slow as possible and infusoria water I started with blanched lettuce. Make sure the new water is the same temp as their tank water. They're super tiny at a week or two and even dumping from a glass too fast swirls them and beats them up. After I started slowly trickling the new water back in from a cup and starting them on infusoria, I started having success.

PascalKrypt

Day 7: sad day....was it the water change? is it the infusoria missing to feed them all? I see many dead ones at the bottom of the tank.....a lot are still alive but it feels like I'm failing. To be continued...
Don't despair! First try is always hard, I read a lot some months back from a guys who was trying to breed his ADFs. Took him about 10 batches to get the fry to survive to adulthood. Yours are already a week old, you've done well regardless of how it goes from here.
That said, there are still some left! I guess it means you'll have to get rid of fewer later.

Ackers500

That’s so sad. But as others have said, don’t go beating yourself up. You must have done a lot right to get them to this stage and I’m sure that there are so many variables that could have caused this that you will never know for sure. I do 20% water changes every day and am not too gentle about it. Have you tested the water? I wonder if it’s a nitrite issue rather than a lack of food?

PascalKrypt

What tank size are you both keeping them in btw, and temperature?

missrob

I keep mine in a 10 gallons at 25oC. I checked the water parameters this morning, no ammonia, no nitrite, no nitrate...

Ackers500

My fry tank is really small. 15 litres. It was all I had available when the babies appeared. I keep it on the warm side. 78F.
They are 20 days old now and I’ve moved them from eating microworms onto baby brine shrimp. They had their first taste of bbs yesterday and seemed to devour them quite quickly. They are growing well now and big enough to see without magnification. I will post a picture.

Ackers500

PascalKrypt

My fry tank is really small. 15 litres. It was all I had available when the babies appeared. I keep it on the warm side. 78F.
They are 20 days old now and I’ve moved them from eating microworms onto baby brine shrimp. They had their first taste of bbs yesterday and seemed to devour them quite quickly. They are growing well now and big enough to see without magnification. I will post a picture.
Oh wow, that is quite small indeed. Is it an actual tank or a vase or glass container you had sitting around? Kind of happy to hear they are fine, I was considering using a 5.5 gallon for the breeding and initial rearing stage.

Ackers500

It is an actual tank . Though very small. I’d originally bought it for my son to keep frog spawn / tadpoles in as part of a school science project. Because the arrival of the fry took me by surprise I had to set it up in a hurry. It wasn’t cycled, I used water from my larger community tank and have then made 20% water changes daily

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AcuarioAmazonico
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
bcsay720
  • Question
Replies
Views