Feeding Goldfish

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by sush, Apr 10, 2017.

1. sushNew MemberMember

How much times a day should I feed my Goldfish

should I make him fast once a week?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2017
  2. musserump09

musserump09Well Known MemberMember

Why do you need to fast him?

3. OP
    OP
    s

sushNew MemberMember

To prevent swim bladder disease. As I heard Goldfish can get it easily.

4. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Welcome to FishLore!

I feed my goldfish once a day. I also feed sinking pellets rather than flakes. With flakes, goldfish tend to gulp air and end up with swim bladder issues.

5. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylahWell Known MemberMember

I feed my goldfish 3 times per day, with a varied diet. goldfish prefer smaller meals more frequently but that is not possible for everyone's schedule.

Remember that anything not consumed within a few minutes should be removed from the tank.

I have heard that fasting goldfish one day per week can be beneficial.

6. OP
    OP
    s

sushNew MemberMember

So should I fast him once a week?

7. MaddieTaylah

It's really just personal preference and whether you believe it to be necessary.

8. OP
    OP
    s

sushNew MemberMember

Thanks...

9. MaddieTaylah

If you do decide to fast them once a week then it won't harm them at all.

10. stella1979

stella1979ModeratorModerator Member

Hi :) Just wanted to chime in about feeding flakes. If you have some, simply hold it below the waterline for a second before releasing, they will not float. A varied diet is best IMO. My goldie eats flakes & pellets but seems to really love freeze dried bloodworms :) I soak them in tank water for about 15 minutes before feeding him, this helps them to sink quickly.

11. jtwizz

jtwizzValued MemberMember

I feed my goldfish once a day and switch back and forth between flakes and pellets. I don't fast them on a regular basis, but I have fasted them in the past when seeing the beginning signs of swim bladder and they recovered quickly.

12. TheFishGirl

TheFishGirlValued MemberMember

I found my goldfish didn't like pellets. They love the protein flakes though! I feed them 2/3 small meals a day and drop the flakes in the current of the water coming out of the filter and it scatters the flakes throughout the water. It's like a little game for them.

I found if you fast them then they think they're SO hungry that they eat too fast and choke — not like dying choke but the flakes get stuck in their mouths and they have to spit them out.

13. Yves

YvesValued MemberMember

YouTube Solidgold, Jenny post all kinds of videos about Goldfish care, feeding and breeding.

14. MaddieTaylah

I easily get my fish flakes or pellets to sink by putting a small amount in a syringe, placing it into the water and then pulling the plunger.

15. purslanegardenWell Known MemberMember

Although we say varied diet, and I already have various foods, too, but isn't the food flakes and pellets already supposed to be varied? Eg, reading the ingredients, there are already a variety of food put into the flakes and pellets that we couldn't even begin to provide for the fish on our own.

Besides that, I just feed my fish once a day, but if you do multiple times, just watch out for food waste that might be accumulating at a faster rate.

16. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

I feed my goldfish twice a day when they're indoors. How much/often you feed depends on temperature.

I feed my goldfish frozen bloodworms, frozen daphnia, freeze dried tubifex, algae wafers, sushi nori seaweed, boiled peas and other vegetables, oranges, boiled egg, pellets, flakes and (in summer) live daphnia and other critters from one of the ponds.

Edit: I fast them once every two weeks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice