Feeding Goldfish Turtle Food?

1. AJE

AJE Well Known Member Member

I feed my two gold fish some a turtle pellet every other day to make sure they are eating(the rosie barb is much faster at eating than they) is this ok?

2. GoldFiska

GoldFiska Well Known Member Member

I don’t really understand why you’re doing this? Can’t you just use goldfish food?

3. OP
    OP
    AJE

They are much slower than the rosy barbs so that they can have a chance to eat

4. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

A large pellet goldie food would work? Something like Hikari will have what you're looking for.

5. OP
    OP
    AJE

Thanks, but is turtle food unhealthy?

6. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

I personally view it as such. A goldies diet is low in protein (meats) unlike a turtles, which tend to be higher in meats.

7. TheeLadyG

TheeLadyG Valued Member Member

You might want to think about a totally different approach! I started hand-feeding my fish, I use a gel type food (repashy gold) that I cut into slices, when I feed I hold it between my fingers and my 2 fish come to take bites. This way I know they both get some, and it's also a great time to get a good look at them to see if they're having any problems. They take a big bite, spend a little bit chewing it, and then come back for some more. After a bite or 3 I break it into a couple of pieces and drop it to the tank floor.

Hand feeding would be a perfect way to make sure they're getting what they need!