Feeding Goldfish In A Planted Tank

arichier

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi all

I haven't really had an issue with this, but just wanted help clarifying something.

In my goldfish tank I have several potted plants that they don't touch, other than to pick off food should it become entangled.

However, I did have a fair bit of floating Salvinia in the tank that covered about 40% of the surface water.

I didn't really notice at first but it very rapidly declined as my goldfish suddenly started gobbling it up one day. Now I don't mind them eating it as where I live it is extremely cheap and easy to replace, but it occurred to my that I have still been feeding my goldfish the same amount of food (probably on the higher end of the scale) while they have been munching on this plant.

I haven't had any issues with overfeeding that I can noticeably see, but I'm worried this may cause long term damage if they are overfeeding.

Would it be wise to drastically reduce the amount I feed them myself if they are eating the plants? Do the plants count towards their daily feeding?

I know it might sound like a very novice question but I have been unable to find any advice on this.

Many thanks!

kayla.s

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
How much do you usually feed them? What you could try is just feeding them every second day

arichier

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi Kayla.s

on a typical day I would normally feed them:

Morning - Repashy Soilent Green
Mid afternoon - Juval sinking goldfish Pellets (1mm) or frozen food (blood worm, daphnia, brine shrimp, mosquito larvae or tubifex)
Evening - some sort of veggie

They have been on this feeding schedule for approx. 3 months now, I only introduced the Salvinia about 3 weeks ago and noticed a rapid decrease in it about 4 - 5 days ago but had kept the feeding routine the same.

I may just reduce the feeding anyway to be on the safe side, I just didn't want to "shock" their metabolism by drastically reducing feeding out of the blue as I have had no issues with them while feeding these amounts.

I'm probably overly thinking it, but I imagine most people do when it comes to their pets!

kayla.s

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Wow, that's quite a bit of food there... I reckon if they're eating the plant you could cut out the veggies, and in the morning pick between either the pellets or repashy. Save the worms and larvae as a treat once or twice a week. Goldfish are already messy fish with high ammonia production and over feeding can cause more of this. I know we all feel sorry for our fish who always appear to be starving, but don't give in to the brain games they're often just being piggies

Make sure to give them enough (about a pinch each) of whichever food you do decide to feed them

Last edited:
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom