Feeding glofish Fry

potatos
HI,
during a water change, I found about 15 baby glofish! I have been looking through websites and other threads but would still like some help. They are EXTREAMLY small, about 2-3mm, and consist of pretty much 2 eyes and a tail.

I have put them in a breeder net so they could benifit from my tanks good water conditions. I have them in with a big chunk of java moss. will this supply enough food? I heard it is full tiny organisms. I also bought some harakI firstbites, but it has been ignored. I think baby brine shrimp or crushed flakes are too big.

I boiled some lettuce and added some water I squeezed out of my java moss in hopes of growing some food, but I fear it won't work/ won't be enough soon enough. what should I do? should I keep trying w/ first bites? how long until I should upgrade to bigger food, like baby brine shrimp? thanks.

I also have little black bugs zipping around the bucket I syphoned the water into. they are the size of a period. are they harmful? will my fry eat them?

Has anyone here had experience raising fry in breeder nets?

EDIT: a 10 gallon tank has been set up, but is cycling. it was filled with water from an established tank, along with a bit of gravel. I will float my old filter cartrage in it as well. any tips on setting up fry rearing tanks is appreciated.

Algae Eater
I am not an expert on raising fish, but I think that glofish are genetically altered danios, you could look up info about raising danios and it should be the same for glofish. I would get rid of the black bugs, just to be safe, especially if they are bigger than the fry.

potatos
they are smaller than the fry. I have looked up what I could on zebra danio babies, but I'm still confused. they talk about all kinds of microorganisms I don't have, and want require preparation for the babies, but mine were discovered un-expectedly. but yes, they are zebra danio

Lucy
When I have fry I put them in a breeder net with java moss.
This is what Shawnie told me to do and it worked...just keep feeding the moss...the fry will get it.
I fed hakarI first bites and ken's golden pearls.
With the tadpoles...they were teeny, I fed frozen bbs too.

Edit: Congrats on the fry!!

Algae Eater
Here is a site about making your own infusoria to feed your fry. You already started with the lettuce, so I thought you might be interested. ~Chris

potatos
thanks algae eater and lucy. my problem with the infusoria is, what happens to it if I pour it into the breeder net? won't it just float trough the netting away from the fry? when they were in the bucket, they were free swimming, but now that they are in my warm breeder net, they all cling to the sides. so idk if they are even ready for firstbites. this is confusing >.<

if I got a tank for them, what would I need? sponge filter, heater, and 10 gal tank? anything else? or will they be ok in my breeder net until they are big enough for the tank w/ mom and dad?

Algae Eater
I think the infusoria would float away, too, but the organisms on the java moss probably wouldn't. Your idea sounds like a good one but it might be a better idea to use a small container at first and go without a filter for awhile because a new filter wouldn't be cycled. I would start out by using water from the tank where the fry came from to fill up the container and then do water changes every day (or more). In the meantime, you could cycle a sponge filter in your established tank, then use it in a 10/20 gallon grow out tank. I think that is what I would do, but hopefully somebody who has more experience will come along soon! ~Chris

potatos
thanks algae eater. I think fry are very sensitive to ammonia, which is why I am keeping them in the breeder net in my established tank, rather than in an unfiltered container. has anyone has experience raising fry in a breeder net? or at least have any advice? some of the fry are now free swimming, btw

potatos
they are still not eating hikarI firstbites. is it too big? I don't want them to starve

I saw frozen cyclops and diphania at the pet store, are either of these smaller than my hikarI first bites (looks like green flour)?

couesfanatic
They probably are eating the Hikari, its hard to see. I am raising leopard danio fry right now. I feed mine HikarI first bites and crushed up flakes.

I also have some java moss in with them. I've heard they can eat microorganisms off the java moss. I have a few now that are almost ready to release into the community tank.

I would put some java moss into where they are, if you have any.

BTW my danios and glofish have the same wisker thing you talked about on the other thread. I'm pretty sure its natural.

potatos
yes, they have a clump of java moss with them. we also disovered that they are natural barbs, you are right. thank you for the post, I was afraid this thread was forgotten about. several of them have disppeared, I am not sure if they escaped, are hiding, or starved. I will keep up with the hikari, hopefuly some of them will make it. I plan to set up a tank for them too.

what are you rasing your fry in? and have you feed them anything other than hikari/flakes/java moss? also, how long did they take to grow?

Thanks for the reply

Beeker
I raised my goldfish fry on yolk of a hard-boiled egg. They love it and it is very good for them. I can't remember where I found that information, but it worked well. I even give some yolk to the adults as a treat every now and then. Just be sure to clean up any leftovers.

YASIR
you can also givethem some milk powder .
baby fishes like it .
I have some babies of comet fish and I m giving them milk powder.
I hope u will share pics of that babies. thanx.

potatos
yes I heard about the egg yolk, and was interested, but I don't know how to go about it. do I just break off a piece and plop it in?

UPDATE: I have purchased a 10 gallon tank for them. it has filter, heater, hood, light ect. DO I need gravel? how high should I fill it (halfway?)

also, my it is an overhang filter, and I'm sure it will suck up the babies. should I put a sponge cover or pantyhose on it? will a sponge hinder the effectiveness of my filter? I fear that with panty hose, that it will stop them from going up the filter, but will not prevent them from getting stuck onto the filter intake due to the suction?

any recommendations about setting up tthis tan? (temp, gravel, ect.)

I will attempt to take pics, but my camera is not great, and so far they have all turned out looking like derbies floating on the surface of the water. maybe when they grow a bit more

thank you for the replys, I appreciate all input

Also, do I need to cycle my baby tank before adding them? I am using water from my old tank, some of its gravel, and I will float my used filter in it.

couesfanatic
potatos said:
what are you rasing your fry in? and have you feed them anything other than hikari/flakes/java moss? also, how long did they take to grow?
I just have them in a breeder net. I have 6 that are about a half an inch long and probably ready to go back into the tank but I think I will wait till they get bigger. They are 8 to 9 weeks old now. I also have 30 or so smaller ones that are are 2 weeks old.

I only feed those three foods, hikari/flakes and java moss. On my older fry I can see leopard spots on the side. They are getting pretty feisty just like the adult danios are. Its cool. I should make a video of it.

I wouldn't use gravel as long as you have a filter that you can seed pretty well with bacteria from your other tank. I would fill it all the way up with water. The better the water quality is the better off you will be. You will need to do a lot of water changes since you have to feed so often.

I'd put the temp the same as your other tank.

I don't like the egg yolk thing. Its a super big mess in the tank, and easier to use hikarI first bites. I have some brine shrimp eggs but haven't used them yet.

I would put pantyhose or something over your filter. I don't think there is much you can do for them not getting stuck to the filter. The only thing I can't think of is to get a smaller size filter. Since you will be doing water changes more often, I don't think the filter is as important, but still needed.

potatos
Thanks again. I will continue to keep them in the breeder net until the tank is fully cycled, but during the water change I did to fill the 10, I found about 10 more babies! they just keep popping up

I added just a handful of gravel in order to seed my tank a bit, but I will also add my old filter cartridge. unfortuanitly, it is only about 2 weeks old, but it will have to do. it is way bigger than the 10 gal's filter, so I am assuming I can just float it tn the tank? idk

couesfanatic
If there is any gunk on the bigger filter I would just rub that all over the new filter.

When I had a hob filer mine had so much gunk on it that I wouldn't have been able to let it float without making a mess.

You want to keep good bacteria in both tanks, but get the new filter going asap.

I was going to go the same route you are, by getting a 10 gallon to use as a fry tank. I'd still like to, but i'm trying to keep my utility costs down. I figure I can still have fun raising a few fry and making a little bit of money back also since mine are leopard danios by selling them.

Let us know how it goes for you, I'm jealous. lol. take some pics, i'm planning on taking some soon also.

potatos
is it possable for an angle to suck a baby fry through the netting of the breeder net? my small angle is always hovering around it, and the fry seem to be dissaperaing....

I also added a couple fry into my tank, which is mostly cycled due to the media I added. the problem is, they get tossed around constantly by the filter. should I add a decoration as shelter and some java moss? or get a sponge filter insted?

couesfanatic
i'm not sure which breeder net you have, but i'm pretty sure that they can't fit through on all of them. My breeder net is so fine that no fry are going to ever fit through.

How old are the fry you let out? I'd try to turn down the filter if possible. You could try adding an extra filter pad to slow the current down, or like you said you could put a sponge or pantyhose over the filter intake. More plants or decorations in the tank will slow the current.

potatos
well they were still young, but I wanted to see how it would work out. appaerntly not too well. I will add java moss and allow it to over run the tank. I will get more filter pads, but I'm in maryland, near dc, and I am snowed in all weekend.
I have a sponge on the intake but it did not do much to slow the current

some are about 2 weeks old. I have a bucket of water sitting out from a water change, and keep finding more in it. I collected 20 yesterday. but I do not see that many in my breeding net....

couesfanatic
you would be surprised about how fast they grow. After two weeks they grow like crazy

potatos
hopefuly. some are at the two week mark now. how long did they take to reach a size that they were most likely to survive and do well?
and how long until they went into a grow out tank?

when the snow clears, I will get more java moss and maybe a sponge filter that I can use until they can handle the current of the power filter

couesfanatic
I think after about 4 or 5 weeks they will make it. I just put mine in the community tank yesterday. They are 9 weeks now. The adults chased them for a little bit but after a few minutes they left all the fry alone. The fry are doing well and should grow well.

I'd wait till 8 weeks till they go with adults. I didn't use a grow out tank so i'm not sure about that.

potatos
did yours live compleatly in the breeder net until they were added to the tank? I am thinking of stretching some panty hoes around the net to prevent anyone from escaping/being eaten, bit I do not want to restrict water flow to much.
the java moss at the bottom is collecting a lot of diterus, so need to clean it, but I also do not want to lose ant babies. did you do a lot of matinance on the breeder net?

couesfanatic
Yep, I kept them in the breeder net the whole time till 9 weeks.

It is a little bit of work. Every couple days I used a pipet, or medicine dropper(free at walmart pharmacy), and removed the left over food. I think the water quality was always good because I cleaned the whole fish tank often as well.

Its working for me.

couesfanatic
I took a few pictures tonight!

This is a 8 week leopard danio and a 2 week leopard danio together.

225.jpg

My tank. 20 Long. The fake plant is in there by the fry for hiding cover. All the other plants are live.

227.jpg

9 week old fry. Looks huge in this zoomed in picture. I'm not sure why their tails looked kinked in the pictures. I think its because they are so fast. They don't look kinked in real life.

229.jpg

231.jpg

233.jpg

232.jpg

235.jpg

bolivianbaby
Beautiful tank and you took some awesome photos of these fast little guys!

potatos
thanks for the photos. my sister in texas had a baby girl, so my mom went down their with the camera, so unless I can figure out how to get the pics from my phone on to my computer, I will need to wait. I only have 1 remaining free swimming fry (2 week old), I don't know what is happening to them! I need to get this fry tank set up so I can monitor them better... thankfully I find more with every water change, but I am still sad that I am loosing any.

I bought an elite filtration kit, but I am having trouble with it, which I am trieng to resolve here

couesfanatic
I'm not sure what's going on with your fry. How often are you feeding them? Have you cleaned the breeder net?

But I had a few fry deaths and figured its time to clean the breeder net. I released my two biggest fry that are about 4 weeks old now. Surprisingly they are still doing well in the tank, no longer being chased by the adults. I took some tank water in a bucket and put the breeder net in it with all the fry. Then I emptied out the fry, took off the net and rubbed it together under hot water. It looks brand new. Now I don't have any more deaths. I still have about 23 fry in the breeder net and 8 in the tank now. They are all growing pretty good. I have a buyer lined up for my fry so hopefully that will come soon.

potatos
I have not cleaned it yet, but now I will. I plan on moving the breeder net to the fry tank, so I can have the baby ones in the net, and thee older ones free in the tank. (once I get my filter sorted out)

I feed them everyday, but they do not seem to eat any of it! it just sits there on the surface, or sinks down and begins to rot. do I need a different food? I'm still feeding hiakarI first bites and powderd flake food. is there a small frozen food that new born fry could eat, maybe cyclops? (Baby brine shrimp are too big)

they seem to last longer in my water change buckets than ib my breeder net. I don't know what I am doing wrong. I guessing either the angle is eating them, or they are starving. but then what did my water change bucket have that kept them alive? there were these very tiny bugs, about the size of a period (.) swimming around. perhaps the ate those?

couesfanatic
You have an angel with the fry? If so, there is your problem. I feed mine 5 to 8 times a day. I dip the handle end of a plastic spoon in the hikarI first bites and tap it so almost no food is on the spoon and then dip the spoon into the breeder net. You sill see tiny particles floating on top of the water. They will come eat it.

It sound like you might be feeding too much at once. They need to eat very often but a very tiny amount each time. Use a pipet to suck up left over food in the breeder net.

If you have an angelfish with the fry, then its eating them. They also could be dying because the water quality is bad( clean the breeder net more).

Are you finding dead fry bodies? I did when mine were dying because the breeder net was nasty.

I'm not aware of any frozen food that they can eat.

The breeder net in the fry tank sounds like a great idea. Keep the real young ones in the breeder net and the older fry in the main tank.

potatos
well the angle is in the tank, but is seperated from the fry by the breeder net. he constantly hangs out by the net, nipping at what ever he can (either sunken food, or fry, I'm not sure)

I try to feed very small amounts, and use a similar method to you. I dip a pencil into the water, then into the food, then back into the tank. I never find any fry bodies, which is why I am suspicious of the angel, and I hope things will improve when they are in an isolated tank.

I will buy a pipet to suck up food, that is a good idea. I can use it to catch fry out of my water change bucket as well

potatos
Hi,

I finally got the camera, but the pics did not turn out well, the new fry are basicly eyes with green/reddish tails. my breeding tank is set up, and I have begun to transfer them into the breeding net in the new tank. I washed the breeder net before hand. the new tank is cycled, with used gravel, java moss, ramshorn snails, mystery snails, a heater at 76, and a small air driven box filter, with added bacteria sponge, pillow stuffing, and pantyhose over the inlet. the HOB filter is off until the fry can handle the current.

The old batch as sadly disappeared completely, but I have new ones now. they too refuse to eat either hikarI firstbites or powdered flakes. I heard about golder pearls. has anyone used them? idk what size to get, I am thinking either the 50 or 100 micron size. do you think this will be more successful than the other food?
thanks

EDIT/UPDATE: I orederd the pearls, size 50-100, hopefuly they will be small enough. I am now using a turky baster to suck the fry out of the water change bucket. so easy! I thoroughly reccomend the method, you can reach the fry sitting in the muck at the bottom without stirring it up and causing them to dissapear

couesfanatic
Pictures look cool. I've never heard of golden pearls.

You won't see them eat until they are free swimming. For me it takes a day before they cling to the walls and then start to free swim.

The turkey baster method is nice.

potatos
yeah, several of them are free swimming, yet they ignore the firstbites. I got some cloudy water from a plant vase which I hope if full og infuorzia, and I have a banana peel in a jar of water on my window sill to see if I can get some other stuff. I also added duckweed to giver shelter/food. golden pearls are very small, and I will supply feedback on how well they work once I try them.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Find a Guru

Top Bottom