Feeding ghost shrimp and mystery snail

LanceDog

I have a 20 gal with around 45 ghosts and a mystery snail that is golfball/half dollar (USA currency) size. I got them all over the weekend. Haven't had a mystery snail in over a decade, and never one this large. Ironically none of the critters are too fond of the algae wafers I have so I fed them some sample betta food I have on hand BUT it lists copper towards the end of the ingredients. They love the cheapo betta pellets!

All that aside how often should I feed them? Is there a good snail/shrimp food? I usually just feed whatever fish food I have laying around. I have not attempted veggies yet. I feel fine feeding them cheap food since ghosts are cheap livestock - just need a cooper free food.

kallililly1973

I would definitely add veggies into their diet. Zucchinis, spinach, kale, broccoli, green peppers... etc...

Deku-Cory

Shrimp and Snails can eat food with copper in it. The trace amount of copper in food isn't dangerous to them. It's the dose that makes the poison. And I agree with kallililly1973 they love blanched veggies!

LanceDog

Deku-Cory said:
Shrimp and Snails can eat food with copper in it. The trace amount of copper in food isn't dangerous to them. It's the dose that makes the poison. And I agree with kallililly1973 they love blanched veggies!

Thx for the info. Hesitant to do veggies due to reading about pesticides killing the livestock. I know to buy organic, wash well, etc. They are accepting the wafers.

This is my first shrimp tank so my concern is if I am feeding too much. Going to try every other day and give the snail treats when it is near the surface. I love hand feeding snails.

tuffcookie

I feed my all my shrimp 2 or 3 times a week with hikarI crab pellet and add BacterAE every day or other day. If I feed more than that, they won’t finish the pellets and it makes the water dirty

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom