Feeding Gary The Golden Mystery Snail

Adley

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Gary is my golden mystery snail. I do not know if he is make it female and it doesn't bug me. I just wanted to know if anyone has any suggestions for food to feed a mystery snail and or a betta since he lives with one. So far the only thing I feed him is sinking algae tabs because I don't know what else he would like and the tabs leave a big mess behind that my shrimp don't even touch which makes keeping my sand clean difficult.
I'm open for any suggestions to see what s/he likes, thank you!

Adley

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
This is great! This may be an obvious question but do you feed on tank or put? and how often do you feed your snail?

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Omega One shrimp pellets. My Mystery loves them. Whatever you use, check the ingredients and make sure there is no form of copper in the list. I put one pellet in a day and the snail hunts them down. The Betta tries to steal them but is mostly unsuccessful. I also put pieces of Tetra Pleco Wafers in from time to time.

Iverg1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
For vegetables you have to blanch them so they sink or you can stick a fork in them

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would say to be careful feeding fresh veggies. They may give the snail a taste for your plants. Mine never touched the plants until I gave him some broccoli. The next day he was munching on the lacy parts of my Windelov Java Fern and the stems of my water Wisteria. He hasn't gotten anything but the shrimp pellets and Pleco wafer since and has not touched the plants again.

Adley

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Alright! I'll keep that in mind if I do try it with him!

Pringlethesnail

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey! Read my care guide pinned at the top of the snail forum! They should be eating a sinking pellet/wafer that is MEAT based at least 5 days a week. If it also has veggies they can eat only that 7 days a week. If it doesn’t have veggies (ex shrimp pellets) feed algae or blanched veggies the other two days a week. Orange I use 5 days a week. Green I use 2 days a week unless I have a fresh veggie ready. The food is what I feed all 7 of my bettas. It’s all Hikari because they make really high quality things and have been the best I can find for the snails. They ingredients are better than anything else I can find besides things that are much much more expensive. The omega one flakes are also great for bettas, but I recommend the pellets for beginners because that way you know how much you’re giving them. For example eight little pellets a day rather than a random pinch of flakes. I feed those flakes to my baby snails and baby bettas. Good luck!
Image1534207229.921966.jpg
Image1534207237.364023.jpg
Image1534207246.774933.jpg
Image1534207256.922494.jpg

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom